Gem 1912, need help tying to find out model and age

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Shayne Marino, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Shayne Marino

Shayne Marino New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here and am getting back into single edge shaving. I have this Gem 1912 and best I can tell from the limited resources out there I believe it's pre 40's but idk if I'm even right about that. Pics attached, any help would be appreciated. Also, I've found a few places that re plate them but am wondering if there are any recommendations on here. It would need a bit of work first, just so
    me straightening of a couple spots. Thanks in advance!
    -Shayne

Attached Files:

Ron R, dmshaver and brit like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Welcome. Can't help with dating but that's the best handle Gem/ER made, imo.

3. Shayne Marino

Shayne Marino New Member

It's the only one I've had but I do like the feel and heft of it!

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

5. Shayne Marino

Shayne Marino New Member

Thank you!

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den. The Gem 1912 is hard to date to a single year, but they were made from 1912 to the 1940's.

7. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

8. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs046: @Shayne Marino from here in Western NY. Glad you decided to join us at TSD. Sorry I can't help you with you Gem.

:eatdrink013:

10. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Washington State

11. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Shayne Marino

I don't know the exact year either, but I have shaved with several. They give a good shave, I used mine with a Gem blade. :happy088:

14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have one just like yours that came in a red cardboard box and it was MFG around 1921. I will leave a link for it, pictures are not the finest but it matched my NOS razor that was bought back years ago. All they had was a cheap gold wash coating but on them IMO, but the razor performance is perfect IMO.
    https://books.google.ca/books?id=4oX3BgAAQBAJ&pg=PA428&dq=gem+razor&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=gem razor&f=false . Just keep scrolling down to 1921 Gem razors and you will see it, I still have my cardboard box it came with it(nothing fancy).
    Have some great shaves!