GEM Featherweight Head/Cap Style Differences

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Droo78, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

I've noticed a few style differences in the GEM Featherweights. They do seem to shave slightly different too.

Has anyone noticed these same variations?

One Featherweight head/cap style has parallel lines on the flip top lever and the other one is smooth. The one with the lined lever seems to have a longer cap (noticeable in the coverage of the lather holes). The side views of the two different heads also show a difference. Finally, the head angles (relative to the handle) seems different as well.

Similarities with other GEM flip top models:
    The lined lever cap shares with later GEM models: Heavy Flat Top (G-Bar) and the Contour II flip top.
    The smooth lever cap shares a somewhat similar style with the 1912 (from the side view).

Pictures are below for illustration of the variances.

GEM Cap Styles 1.JPG GEM Cap Styles 2.JPG GEM Cap Styles 3.JPG GEM Cap Styles 4.JPG

Juno and gorgo2 like this.
  2. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

jmudrick likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Gem Featherweight deluxe model was a little different also? Looking at your two Featherweight razors I believe they would shave differently. I have a Gem with out the thumb cap lines & it gives a nice shave, with a bulkier deeper cap would reduce efficiency IMO.
    Good observation by the way @Droo78 because I would of never noticed.
    Would it be fair to say that Gem Featherweight Version #1 is the narrow cap model and Gem featherweight Version #2 according to time line charts.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gem-razor-models.60719/page-9
    Have some great shaves!

Droo78 likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I don't see ads before 1955 but yes I see the lined tab appearing with the Slim-V revamp.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Droo78 and Ron R like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have heard some folks figure the Feather weight is over rated and now we might have the reason. The Contour and G-bar are milder than the Featherweight Version #1 model but when you put a contour head on it becomes even more milder IMO.
    I was on Ebay and there are other models of the Featherweight Version #2 for sale. They should of left the Featherweight alone as in Version #1 as it was. They sneaked the even milder version top cap in to ween off inventory of Featherweights base plates and handles as they were phased out...... IMO. But with the internet they can not hide these small changes as easily now a days.
    Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
    I have the original version #1 as shown. This Featherweight is awesome for a nice 3 pass shave and breaking in a new Gem Personna SS PTFE blade.

Droo78 likes this.
  6. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ron. I have a gold Gem Deluxe version too. It has the cap version with the smooth thumb lever.

Ron R likes this.
  7. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

I think you may be right about the inventory.

Ron R likes this.
  8. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks

Ron R likes this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I went over to UK _bay to see their version of the Everready Featherweight(They called it "natural angle" model) and was produced for a short time in 1953 until the E-bar came out.
    They have only one for sale if anyone is interested.
    Everready featherweight or natural angle model (2).jpg
    ER feather weight. (2).jpg

The revamped "slim V- flat top" was The Gem version in the USA is the one with the lines on the thumb clamp. It came out in 1953 also. The one I call Generation 2 Featherweight is The revamped "Slim V-flat top"model which became the G-bar later on.(basically changed the handle.)
    Version #2 of a Featherweight wit the deeper cap.jpg
    Picture above shows the Gem Featherweight the 2nd generation "revamped V-flat top" is what they called it. Mfg in 1953-55.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

MicroMatic Monday or GEMonday today, April 27th 2020- Well I thought I would do some experimenting today with the Gem Featherweight Gen#1 head VS Gen #2 head and I have both heads other than the handles and that is basically the difference.(It's not a perfect shaving world in my Den) All I did was WTG 1st pass followed by ATG 2nd pass on the left side with Generation #1 the original Featherweight in all it's glory(toughest beard side under the jaw line for me also)with no touch ups to see how best to accurately gauge the shave. And on the right side I went with Generation #2 head(Gem G-Bar) with same procedure. WTG 1st pass and 2nd pass ATG to see if there is a difference. If you go to a 3 pass shave it is hard to mark a lot of differences because all I'm using is feel of my hand. And the winner for the closest 2 pass shave goes to Generation #1 head for the best performance with a new Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) that was placed in the Gen #2 head after first side completed. Cheeks were very similar in closeness on both sides but under the jaw lines Gen #1 (Featherweight Gen#1 was noticeably better for closeness).
    Looks like a different MMMonday today with a 2 razor shave which is a rarity for myself but also had a little fun also. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/micromatic-monday.63258/
    Razor: Gem Featherweight Gen #1 -MFG 1950-53
    Razor : Gem G-Bar with Gen #2 head that was also on the Featherweight later models from 1953-55/G-bar MFG 1955-58.
    Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (1) great all around blade.
    Soap: Razorock "The Dead Sea" great scent with good lather qualities IMO.
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- great bush that I have used a lot over the last 3 1/2 yrs.
    Preshave: Showered- washed the face with regular hand bar soap.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2.
    Post shave: Razorock "The Dead Sea" aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea Men balm.
    Result :Gem Featherweight Gen#1 head)CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + 1 tiny weeper= [​IMG] good shave for a 2 pass shave.
    Results:Gem G-Bar with Gen #2 head) CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + 2 tiny weepers = [​IMG] reasonable shave for only a 2 pass- I need a 3 pass with a G-bar for it to shine IMO.
    MMMonday Featherweight GEN1 VS GEN2 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Droo78 likes this.