Gem GBar

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ordinaryshaver, Jan 25, 2019.

1. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

So, this week I have been using the GBar, on loan from @Jayaruh . I was asked on one of my videos how it compared to the other razors in the "MicroMatic series"
    This will be confusing to explain, but let me try. I find the performance on par with the others but the blade feel is less.

I mean to say, I don't feel as much of the blade, but it performs like it has the same blade gap and exposure. It is mild, but efficient, if that makes any sense.
    When starting out in SE razors, I would recommend this one and the Featherweight equally. Not in terms of shave, but in terms of feeling. The blade feel is close, with the slight edge going to the FW.
    I like the little piece at the end that sticks out, and the checking is great. I noticed today, during my shave that I could use my fingers on the protrusion as a quick reference point. The checkering helped as well.

From my perspective, it feels lighter than the others but heavier than the FW. But then again, there is no TTO so the weight should be less.

Overall, I'd say buy one, and shave with it, you will like it. Goes for newbies, and more advanced alike. I like the razors the feel "agressive and scary" but this one doesn't. So why am I drawn to it? Because of the performance!

Herm2502, gorgo2, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I really enjoy the G-Bar. It's my favorite among the Pushbutton, Featherweight, and G-Bar.

jimjo1031, Jayaruh and Frijolero like this.
  3. ordinaryshaver

I know some people put it in that category, but I tend to put it in with the MM series. I suppose you could do either.
    As far as the shave goes, it's mild, but efficient.

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I don't see the Micromatic connection, it's a 1950s razor with a head nearly identical to the Feather Weight.

Frijolero, jimjo1031 and PLAla like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The G-Bar shares the same head design as the Pushbutton, Featherweight, Contour, and Contour II.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That was my impression as well. I don't see a connection to the MMs except the name Gem.

Frijolero, Linuxguile and jimjo1031 like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Your avatar change threw me off. Nice review.

Frijolero, Linuxguile and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

For me, the MMCC is a bit more aggressive than the G-Bar, but I like both of them. And I agree with @Linuxguile and @Jayaruh about the head design compared to the others, but I prefer the G-Bar's weight to the others.

Frijolero and Linuxguile like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The G-Bar was my long time favorite SE for pretty much the same reasons as ably stated in the OP. Have now drifted off from using them...can't recall the last time I had an SE shave.

Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I like the G-Bar. One of my favorite SE razors.

Herm

11. ordinaryshaver

Thend it has been entirely too long sir.
    We don't bite, and are friendly most of the time, we'll except for Fuzzy, but just toss a puck of Williams at him and he will be fine.

gorgo2 and Frijolero like this.
  12. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I quite like the G Bar. Definitely better than the featherweight, but perhaps not quite so much as the MMOC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

johnnyflake and Frijolero like this.