General observation/recommendations from a 1 month newbee

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Gobucks, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Gobucks

Gobucks Member

Hi fellow shavers,
    Wow totally enjoy this new adventure of the world of wet shaving!! Yes it has been a dent on my pocket book but after spending years of the minimum expense got a lot of making up ha ha.
    I am a gluten for trying many items that are recommended!! Thank goodness for samples!!
    But with more observations and recommendation down the road my 1st months are as follow:
    Steirling soap is top notch stuff!! And prices are very good.
    Love Chatillon Lux!! Wish they had smaller bottles but it is amazing!!
    Love Menthol aftershave!! Tried most of the strongest but the one I like best is Kramperts out of Maine. Another one that is a close 2nd is the shaving yeti(did have a web sight delay hope they fix it soon.)
    And for a unscented balm got a recommendation for Sapmsons all natural. LOVE it. It is not wet and oily. Love the aftershave smell and this will moisturizer and hold the scent longer.
    I hate the cologne strong smell for everyone to smell. I just like to smell me and hate it when someone has a overpowering smell!! Just me!!
    And finally Tabac is a great wash soap. Great. I knew this was going to be great because everyone suggested it. Will try the shaving soap soon.
    So happy shaving to all and thanks to everyone.

2. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Well done, I'm glad you're enjoying the process of finding what you like. Myself, I've been wet shaving for about 4 years! I tried Stirling Soaps when I got started, but I could never get them to work for me.... I believe it was because I have very hard water and I was a novice at lathering. I'll have to give them a try again someday. I've more or less settled on my rotation and change little.

Now, what are you shaving with? Straight, Injector, Safety Razor, or Cart? Brushes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kokak likes this.
  3. Gobucks

Gobucks Member

I have been using a double edge razor. Have bought a boars head brush. Have not spent much on both razor and brushes. From advice brushes are very good value. As far as razors I just use the one I got in a starter kit it is I believe a razor rock one? There are so many to choose?
    I heard on one form that they just buy a gallon of distilled water for about a buck or 2 and that helps replace hard water problem? You may know this if not hope that might help?

Kokak likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have hard water and I've yet to have a rough time building a lather, all good artisan soaps are made so that you can lather them easy. Now when I say artisan I mean well known makers.

5. Gobucks

Gobucks Member

Yes I made a 7 buck mistake and bought a tub of soap at some wine place in Nashville over the weekend. Tuesday morning used it and it had no lather at all. The best place for it was the trash.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Use it in the shower:)

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Shower, or dog bath.