Genro

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by barbersurgeon, Mar 8, 2016.

1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sorry for the crowded pic. Popped in an antique store recently and saw this Razor with some kind of safety bar attached? I'm not versed in straights, but thought it was interesting. Had never seen one like this before.

I'm guessing the guard pivots around the blade once the razor is in the open position or something?

BeShaved and Jim99 like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I think that is a Genco, with a safety attachment. I have one , but mine doesn't have the attachment. It has a hole on the end of the blade, that I assume holds one edge. Looks like that one is clamped on the tang, and could be rotated down. On mine the scales are full size, but the blade itself is only about 2/3rd the size of a standard straight.

3. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Ok, I Googled 'Genro' and didn't come up with much. Just was curious if these type razors with the guard are common or not. I hadn't seen one, but I don't have much straight razor knowledge.

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Try goggling Genco. Its an American brand that was owned by Geneva Cutlery Co. before being purchased by W.R. Case and Sons. I haven't found much information on my razor, but this picture firms up my hunches. I will post a picture of mine tonight.

gssixgun likes this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Common no not really, but yes they are out there, it was a Crossover attempt after the advent of Safety Razors that some of the SR companies tried marketing for a few years..

Most of the ones I have seen have been on American brands a very few on French brands

BeShaved likes this.
  6. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member