Gentlemans shop £6 disposable blade straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Flatfish, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Hello
    Has anyone tried the £6 Focus straight razor from Gentlemans shop? Its the kind that uses half of a DE blade.
    For £6 I'm expecting it to be pretty poor quality and somewhat lethal to use but I'm just guessing. I seek the opinion of those who may have experienced such a device before I possibly make a mess of my face.
    Merry Christmas everybody.

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Never have.....i tend to shave with traditional straights

3. William

William New Member

I learnt to straight shave with one of these, I have to say, it was not that easy to master. However, master it I did and when I finally got a proper straight it really paid off because I was amazed at how much I had learnt. I recon if you can successfully shave with a shavette type razor you can almost certainly shave with confidence with a conventional straight. In fact I found it a lot easier.

The only advice I can give is treat it with considerable respect, use it with a feather light touch, go slow, watch you angles, and expect to see some blood. The most dangerous part of the blade is the ends (very very sharp……!) so make sure you keep the blade as flat as possible and look where the ends are all the time, a moments lack in concentration and it will slice a nice furrow without you realizing it, they are really unforgiving like that.

Saying all of that, if I were you I would skip the shavette all together and go straight for the ‘Straight’ you will have less scars and a more satisfying shave.;)

Good Luck

4. riffin

riffin Active Member

You might consider trying a Sanguine XD 20. I found you can fit them with Feather ProGuard blades. They are long than the holder and I have the extra length hanging from the bottom of the blade holder, towards the handle.

I use it for my first pass, then I switch to my DE for the rest. I've been to this for about a week. Initially I fit it with a 1/2 DE that I'd seriously blunted with some 600 grit sand paper. I could feel it dig when I got the angle wrong, but it didn't break the skin. The I switched to the ProGuards. The only other shavette I've tried is the Dovo. I like this one better.

As I better my technique, I'll use it more and more. I may try the Pro or Pro Super blade much later. So far I'm having mixed results, but I'll keep at it!

I got mine from the sanguinebeauty eBay store for GBP 7.50 (about $15)

http://snipurl.com/1vk6c

You can also get them at The Sanguine Store for GBP 10.00.

http://www.salon-bits.co.uk/

My goal is to get a Feather AC non-folding straight. After I learn to shave, I'll work on my honing/stropping skills and then maybe get a nice true straight.

PS: I found Chris Moss' guide VERY helpful (a sticky on the Straight blade forum)!

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10