Genuine Buffalo Horn Handled Shavemacs-Group Buy

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Padron, Apr 6, 2008.

?

What type of Genuine Horn do you want? And shape?

Poll closed Jun 9, 2008.
  1. Blond Horn

34 vote(s)
    72.3%
  2. Black Horn

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. Fan shape

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  4. Bulb shape

17 vote(s)
    36.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Padron

Padron Active Member

Order page is up! :D

Please read this carefully.......... :D

The order page has been setup and will be available until Midnight on 04/27/08,

These brushes will ship around 4 weeks after the close of the sale on 4/27/08.

Please note:

Credit card orders will not be charged until the brush ships
    . Which will be the actual group buy price + $14.00 Shipping.

PayPal orders will be charged at the time of the order... the $148 Pre-Group discount price +$14.00 Shipping when the final group discount price has been determined the amount overpaid will be refunded to your PayPal account.

As soon as the order closes I will post the number of brushes sold and the price as reflected by the group buy discount price.

The options available are now available on the order page. Please let me know if anyone has any troubles...

Please order the brushes here
    :D

Thanks to all for all your support of this Group Buy.

Best,
    Neale

Hi,

I have received a couple Genuine Horn handled Shavemacs recently....

These brushes are Sweet, up until now I had not had a "Real" horn handled brush....this horn is Beautiful, it's really cool to see the different growth patterns in the horn and the colors on the blond handle is outstanding. :D

They are really beautiful handles, they came from Kimson at Kimson Handicraft Co. and in my opinion are very nice / high quality pieces :D

The Blond Genuine Horn handle has a 23mm Silvertip Knot with a 50mm Loft.....The Black Genuine Horn handle has a 22mm Pure grade 50mm knot....

The Black Genuine Horn handle has a 22mm Pure grade 50mm knot is great, I had not tried this hair type from Shavemac yet and it looked to go perfectly with the black horn...it feels great and is a bit scrubbier that the Silvertip...it is a bit prickley though when building the lather directly on the face as I often do.....

I am in the process of trying to arrange a group buy on these brushes as the only other Genuine Horn brushes that I am aware of "Plissons and Thiers Issard" brushes carry a pretty substantial price to them starting at over $200 plus shipping....these bushes with the same size knots from Plisson and TI are around $275 and up for a 23mm version.....if I'm not mistaken.

Shavemac is offering these to us at $148 + $14 shipping for a 23mm knot, 50mm lofted Silvertip version.....
    a substantial savings for a Genuine horn handled brush
    that includes a high quality Shavemac handmade Silvertip knot :D

The discount will be as last time.
    10 brushes 5%, 20 brushes 8%, 40 brushes 10%
    50 brushes 12%, more than 100 brushes 15%

Shavemac will be able to offer it in a Fan shaped lofted version as well as their lightbulb shaped lofts....:D

Shavemacs "Special Silvertip" hair grade cannot be offered at this time as it is in short supply

Just wanted to share these beauties with you all and try and get an idea of interest in these...

I will post more information as soon as I have it....here's a few photos :)

The Blond version has a circular cap on the bottom, The Black one is one solid piece of horn and
    has a slight crack visible in the brush naturally, but was turned with the natural horn completely
    covering it so the crack is not open or exposed, but provides a little viewing window into the inside of the horn.
    I am sure that these will vary and will not be able to guarantee the handles will be one solid
    piece of horn.....2 other examples of the blond horn I have seen also have the round pieces on the bottom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Post Bloom

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Some very attractive brushes there, and there's no questioning bernd's quality.

3. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

Congratulations Neale, they're both great looking brushes! ;)

4. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

very nice - the blond horn is very attractive.

s~s

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I like black.

Very nice brushes, and if they are half as good as the ShaveMac I've got then I'm really envious ;)

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thanks fellas :D

They are really beautiful handles, they came from Kimson at Kimson Handicraft Co. and in my opinion are very nice / high quality pieces :D...I have never owned a Genuine horn handled brush like a Plisson, but these handles are really excellent and I would guess are pretty close to the same without the lofty price....granted the hair and knot's are different but I am a BIG Shavemac fan and Shavemacs quality for me has been superb.

I had wanted a "Real" horn handle brush, Kimson was kind enough to send these handles for evaluation...the problem was and is he does not sell the brushes with Silvertip Badger knots installed....

Shavemac was kind enough to install the custom knots and modify the openings in the handles to allow the types and sizes of knots I wanted...

I asked Bernd at Shavemac if it would be possible for him to offer these handles to us as a Group Buy, as Shavemac had not offered a Genuine horn handled brush yet and of course Bernd has stepped up to the plate once again. :D Making it possible for those that desire a handle like this to get it properly fitted with a quality knot that will make a superb brush without all the shipping hassles :cool:

Dr.P has also received a couple of these handles, hopefully he will be able to speak to there quality and can compare them to Plissons
    and other horn handled brushes as he is an expert ;)

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I would definitely be interested in this. Keep us posted :)

8. Padron

Padron Active Member

Will do, I will have check on the availability of Black Horn as well...:D although I thought the Blond would be the most popular the black is very nice too ;)

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Does the black have to have the pure badger....could it have the silvertip as well?

10. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Hmm... decisions, decisions... I do love my current ShaveMac, but I had my eyes set on another brush as my next investment... :think002:whacky011 Oh, well, better sleep on it a few days :p

11. Padron

Padron Active Member

I will have to confirm what color horn is available, I had my Black handle stuffed with the Pure Badger as I thought it would look great while providing me the chance to try that grade of hair from Shavemac's offerings....which I really like. :)

My "guess" it that Black horn will be available and the price stated above would include a Silvertip knot :D

12. iron maiden

iron maiden New Member

Those are beautiful. I would be interested in the blond horn just like the one you've got there.

13. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

is there any special care required for a real horn brush?

thanks!
    s~s

14. Padron

Padron Active Member

Great question s~s,

I will research this more and report back. I have heard of others using a bit of neatsfoot oil periodically to keep the horn moisturized, but do not now if there is a better product for this.

I am still waiting for more information but believe the price is now correct as listed above.

I believe this will be offered in the Fan shaped loft at a 23mm knot with 50mm loft, but am waiting to hear if it can also be offered in a Lightbulb shape as well.

The Blond horn is the most beautiful, I have asked if any Black horn will be available as well.

I will try and post all information as quickly as it is received.

Thank you all for your interest :D

15. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

fan shapes i dig...bulb shapes = not so much.

i live in wisconsin where we get crazy swings in weather. on good friday we got socked with 18" of snow and this saturday the temps hit 65. i would not want the handle to crack! i have zero issues with my custom wood brushes and i periodically treat them with tung oil.

s~s

16. iron maiden

iron maiden New Member

Padron, thanks for the update. BTW, I appreciate all of your work on this project.

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

I have been doing some reading on the buffalo horn material, from what I have been able to read on it, it sounds like it is quite durable and can easily last a lifetime with proper care.

These handles are highly polished and the horn does not appear to be very porous material. I personally will avoid extended soaks in hot water as well as avoiding direct sunlight on the brush.

These handles are also made from the tips of the horn and for the most part are quite solid. :D When looking into the hole where the knot is placed on both of the handles I have received the material is completely solid and was drilled into the horn.

The care instructions I have been able to come across have only stated to wipe with a damp cloth.....These handles with pick up oils from our hands but in the case of extreme dryness I will use neatsfoot oil as I have heard others are using.

My best guess is that these handles will be far more durable than a wooded handle, and should also require less maintenance.

Hope that helps :)

18. Padron

Padron Active Member

Thank you David, these are great looking and functioning brushes. I hope everyone who gets in on this group buy will be very happy :D

I will post all updates as quickly as possible.

19. drP

drP Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Neale,

Magnificent additions to your stack imo, especially the blond horn which is much more beautiful than mine...you lucky devil...:mad::D

As for the horn quality issues: i wouldn't worry too much, since these horn handles are (presumably) turned from pointe de corne or the tip of a cow horn which is very hard and durable. Furthermore, the polishing adds to the durability since it's less vulnerable for the impact of sunlight which will be reflected by the polished surface. Best is to put your horn handled brushes in a moist environment (like a bathroom...:D) to prevent drying out.
    If you want you may use some mineral oil every now and then to "condition" the horn. Avoid strong temperature fluctuations and exposure to sunlight.

Summarized: best is to keep your horn handled brush in a relative dark (regarding sunlight, artificial light is irrelevant), moist environment with a rather stable temperature.

Given these conditions your horn handled brush is likely to survive you and become a heirloom piece...;)

20. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

So...you're saying his brush is a mushroom? :confused: