Geo Wostenholm 13/16 IXL

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by HolyRollah, Jan 30, 2017.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I had this old Wostenholm sitting in a ziplock of Neatsfoot oil for the past six months of so, along with another Wosty frame back.

This "Washington Works Sheffield IXL" razor has a fairly heavy quarter-hollow, smiley 13/16" blade with a soft hollow notch. The blade had several dense patches of built-up rust which required extensive compound buffer time (80>240>400>600 grit) to remove the majority of the build-up and minimize the residual pitting. Its much easier to do this type of metal removal when the blade had some 'metal to lose.' Full-hollows are a far bigger challenge when dealing with extensive rust and pitting.

Rust removed; post-600 grit buffing.
    [​IMG]

The tang was covered in several areas with rust and fortunately I was able to remove it without degrading the quality of the maker's stamp. Often the intrusion of rust results in the damage of the stamp. You'll see examples out there (eBay) where the restorer went too far and the stamp has been severely worn away in the process...
    [​IMG]

Evident toe-wear and edge a bit funky near the heel.
    [​IMG]

The scales, despite the long oil soak, are possibly beyond redemption as the wedge end is crumbly and I fear doesn't have enough life left to salvage. I will attempt to salvage the domed brass washers.
    [​IMG]

More to come... :happy088:

2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Can't wait to see the finished result Kevin!

twhite and Billyfergie like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Looking good. Any before pictures?

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

No unfortunately. This was one of those jobs where I got ahead of myself and started the buffers before capturing a 'before' photo.
    Here's a photo of another razor that had very similar rust patches (left side in photo).
    Imagine the Wosty above with several large patches of the dark stuff pictured below left; both sides of the blade and tang.
    [​IMG]

6cuda6 and twhite like this.
  5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nice work. It makes me want to start on some of mine. Thanks.

twhite likes this.
  6. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Member

Im gonna have to start doing some too....it just looks like to much fun!!

7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Nice work Kevin!

8. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

Looking good