Getting your feet whet honing.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by VintageModMan, Mar 9, 2017.

1. VintageModMan

VintageModMan Active Member

[​IMG]

So I was browsing around and came across the bearmoo 2in1 3000/8000 grit whetstone. Would this be a suitable stone to get my feet wet in learning how to put a bevel and an edge on a razor either for upkeep or restoration?

Does anyone have any experience with these? I just am looking for something to practice with.

2. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I think that getting a known hone set is the best way to start off. There are some good names out there to choose from. Norton, Naniwa, Shapton, are the one that come to mind right away. Also the easiest way to learn to hone is to attend a meet. Most meets I have been to have focused on a lot of honing, hones and some more honing. They are great for social opportunities as well.

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My first hone was one that looked just like that. I believe mine is a "King". It worked fine, but the stone is a bit on the soft side. Not a big deal for the price. I also purchased a Cnat 12k-15k from Woodcraft as my finisher. It was all relatively cheap and the setup worked well enough. That setup got me used to honing and I decided to upgrade later on to Naniwa stones. Like RezDog said, it's probably better to go with brands that have a solid reputation. On the other hand, if you're not sold on SR shaving just yet, that no-name stone will do for now.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

3k to set a bevel can be done...but takes a considerably longer time than if one uses a typical 1000 bevel-setter.

5. VintageModMan

That's good advice I didn't know that.

6. VintageModMan

That's what I was thinking I checked on amazon and they seem to have great reviews. I dropped it in my wishlist. So maybe I'll grab one in a few weeks. I'm surprised with how costly some of these stones can be.

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have set a bevel on a Norton 4K, but I now own a Norton 1K, if that tells you anything:) BTW, what are they asking for the bearmoo 3/8K ?.

8. VintageModMan

Its on sale right now for 23 dollars. Normally 39.98 I think. It seems to have great reviews.

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I bought that same stone and the grit ratings are way off. the 3k side is more like 1k and the 8k side is more like 3k.

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Bear in mind; the majority of the reviewers are using these for knives and tools. BIG differences compared to razors. Personally, I'd be very leery. Perhaps @gssixgun could offer some insight. I'd wait for Glen's input here before doing anything.

11. VintageModMan

Good to know. I guess it could be good for setting a bevel lol.

12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I started with a 3k/8k similar t that. The time to set a bevel with it, on a blade that needs a new bevel, will be exhausting. I know, trust me. To go the inexpensive route, get a King 1k hone. Also, some 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper to flatten and lap the hones. Also a minimum 12k hone to finish the edge.

Jkb, Karl G, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

As the Guys have Suggested..A Decent 1 K Bevel Stone is the Foundation Work of You're Progression & Learning How to Hone SRs..Most of the Work is Done on the 1 K Bevel Hone..Learning to Hone SRs can be a Challenge & Half Decent Stones are Essential..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Jkb, Karl G, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  14. VintageModMan

Well noted. I don't doubt that. Glad to have so many helpful people here.

Jkb, Karl G, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  15. 1976MGB

1976MGB Active Member

The King 1k/6k is a decent hone, a bit slow but that is fine if your only doing a couple razors for fun. It can be had for $27 ... Bear Moo is pretty junky, maybe good for a knife.
    Follow the 1/6 with a Chinese Natural and you can get a good edge, but it is a very slow stone as well.
    You could always go the lapping films route, it's pretty cheap and effective.
    The king 1/6, Chinese Natural,and chromium oxide or diamond pasted strop will get you where you want to be for sure and all for under $60

Jkb, Karl G, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  16. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Funny thing

It is mostly always new guys that ask about a Low Price alternative to hones

They are exactly the guys that need the best tools to work through to make honing the easiest :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Karl G, Billyfergie, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I could not agree more. I am a noob to honing. I thought long and hard. I also did a bunch of forum searches. My conclusion was to by quality from the start. It is cheaper in the long run. I chose the Naniwa progression 1,3,8&12k. I am very pleased with this decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Karl G, Billyfergie, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

I fit that statement, somewhat. But, was not trying to find an alternative to hones, just an alternative to the "Very Expensive" hones.
    The total price for a setup with stones that you professional "honemeisters" use is very intimidating to most trying to get into straights..
    I believe I have found my setup is an alternative to the "best tools" theory.

19. DaltonGang

Just a side note. Going the inexpensive route doesn't mean you get a lesser edge on the razors. As I have mentioned in other posts, I am able to pop the finest hairs with my "Less Expensive Hones". The setup might not hone the blade the fastest, but it works.
    I have paid less for my setup than what it would cost me to have 10 razors "Professionally" honed. Basically around $150 not including the strop.

20. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

What is your setup?