Gibbs vs. Heritage Gibbs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Mar 4, 2023.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Ever since this Heritage Gibbs came out I've been wanting to do a side by side to see how they compare.

Here are the 2 razors

GIb1.jpg Gib2.jpg

First the build quality, the nod here definitely goes to the Heritage. The metal handle and adjustment nut that lines up correctly at 1 on the lowest setting on the Heritage and the spring seems to be more stiff but that could be due to the age on the Gibbs razor and metal fatigue. One thing that I did notice and it maybe to due to the springs is that the Heritage at 1 hash mark higher than on the Gibbs the blade gaps are about equal. One test I plan to do is switch the springs and see if that relationship flips or not.

Onto the initial shaves.

brit, ewk and MoAllen like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

First shave Heritage Gibbs adjustment nut set at N which is 3 hash marks from fully tightened.

Shave is smooth almost no notice of the blade. Super efficient with a just at the BBS line finish after 5 passes. Too mild for me and would definitely run it at a higher setting for daily shaving.

brit, ewk and MoAllen like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Second shave , OG Gibbs adjustment nut set at 3 hash marks from fully tightened.

Compared to shave one with the Heritage there was more blade feel but not blade harshness and to test I adjusted the Heritage to 4 hash marks from fully tightened and compared them first visually which they looked almost the same for blade gap and such then on face feel which they both felt about the same for the swipes that I did with both on all the passes. Super efficient and full BBS finish after 5 passes. Long time since I've used a Gibbs but it reminded me why this razor is so well regarded. It is a super mild but deadly efficient hair assassin. With that said I was suprised just how close the Heritage was on the first shave to this one. It is in the same ballpark and I suspect the next shave with the Heritage at 4 hash marks out should match this shave here. From that point I can then test the springs to see if they are the issue here by switching them in each razor.

brit, PLANofMAN, ewk and 1 other person like this.
  4. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

One day , I will get a gibbs or one of the clones... Thanks for doing the side by side..

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Third shave - Heritage Gibbs adjustment nut set at between N and 2.

I readjusted the Gibbs to make sure the adjustment lined up as close as possible to 1 when fully tightened. After readjusting, visually inspecting the blade gaps and such and then face feel to match them up best as possible this is the setting I found to approximate the Gibbs I have set at N after flipping the adjustment nut. With said it is a very close but not quite BBS finish after 5 passes. Gibbs initial shave at N was better. They are close but there is a possibility they will match up now that the Gibbs was readjusted. Next shave will be with the readjusted Gibbs at N then finally opening both up to about 5 or 6 on the dial.

brit likes this.
  6. ShaversRUs

ShaversRUs Well-Known Member

@BBS : interesting thread -- thanks for doing this.

I had heard some rumblings about this razor but never looked into it, so I just searched and found their website. All sold out.

I see 4 models; I assume yours is the "Heritage Adjustable BLACK Annodized Aluminum Handled Homage to the Gibbs 15." It does say "aluminum, zinc, brass alloy" for the rest of the razor.

I'm curious if you have tried the Pearl Flexi. I just posted in another thread that so far I'm not too thrilled with it. It is less money than the aluminum Heritage, and about the same as 2 of the Heritage models (before the sale price). The plastic handled Heritage costs less than the Pearl.

I'm not a chapter and verse guy regarding Gibbs, so I don't know how many models they had. I assume the one you have is a "15" and takes unmodified blades.

brit likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

4 models but they are all the same shaver. One I have is the one with the metal chrome handle. They were initially made as a pre order item and then any extras were sold first come, first serve afterwards. Supposedly they are working to bring out another batch made in brass and stainless steel but that remains to be seen. As far as Gibbs razors goes and in turn this Heritage Gibbs, there are people who turn replacement handles for these to different sizes and materials so the ones turned for a Gibbs should also fit this one if the threads are the same and if not getting a handle made with the correct threads is easy enough to make.

As far as make and model of Gibbs those model numbers usually refer to things like materials, some of the adjustables are also made from brass instead of zamac or whatever material they normally use. They made non adjustables also. All the earlier models require you modify the blades. The later model plastic handle ones take unmodified blades.

Gibbs adjustables in recent years went from a strictly collectors thing to a regular rotation razor because of how they shave. They really are exceptionally smooth and efficient. The Heritage if it is close enough will be a modern more affordable option since sub $100 Gibbs adjustables are pretty much a thing of past now that they have a reputation. Shame they aren't a major enough company than can make lots of these because if they could or any shaving company makes a razor that mimmicks a Gibbs shave will sell a boat load of razors once they are legitimately recognized as such.

As far as a Pearl Flexi I couldn't tell you, never had one or used one.

If you want to try a modern cheap DE that supposedly is along the lines of this razor but is it's own shaver then the Yaqi final cut adjustable is one to look at. You can with the discounts get these for under $20 USD when buying them directly through aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801994637922.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    brit and ShaversRUs like this.
  8. ShaversRUs

Thanks!

OK I guess I was confused since I thought from your pics that the black handled one was the heritage since the dial style matches the pics on their website.

Yep, I bought that one last year. I used it a few times and liked it. Had I known that Yaqi was coming out with an all-brass one, I would have bought it instead of the lesser-priced one, and would have skipped the Pearl Flexi altogether. I love the build quality of the Pearl, but was disappointed in the shave, albeit I just tried it once.

The Yaqi is basically an adjustable version of an EJ89/Merkur safety bar/R89/King C. Gillette.

brit likes this.
  9. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

There are two versions of the Gibbs 15/17 Adjustable.
    The Aluminium version. They are numbered 15, and are IMHO a very draggy shaver.

The Brass version, which can be numbered 15 or 17 or have no number. I find that they all shave the same.

They all need the blades modified.

Putting build quality (and pricing) aside, I personally think that the Zamak TFC is the better shaver.
    You do however need to make sure that there is no soap left on it once done.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  10. ShaversRUs

Thanks.

So the brass Yaqi TFC isn't exactly the same geometry then, or is it the finish?

What happens if you leave soap on it? I always rinse a razor thoroughly, but I don't disassemble a 2 or 3-piece until I'm ready to change blades. For TTOs, I open them up, rinse the razor and blade, pat dry, and leave open to air dry.

brit likes this.
  11. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

The brass Yaqi has a bit of drag which the zamak one does not have,
    To my naked eye the profiles look the same, except that the chrome version has a comb on the guard, so I would guess that its the brass vs chrome finish.

I would love someone to chrome their brass version and report back - that would be an interesting exercise.

I think that the plating on the surfaces that you can't see is questionable and I guess starting to "zinc-rot". Some local guys have reported that their threads are starting to "bind".

Personally, I have now taken the compression spring out of it and dismantle it completely each time that I use it. I've also started dropping a bit of mineral oil on the various threads since I'vc heard the reports.

12. ShaversRUs

Interesting. I thought I had read when it was first released that some parts of the zamak version were brass (or some other non-zamak material) so things like that wouldn't happen.

I've sometimes put a little Vaseline on the threads of my zamak 3-piece razors, but only when changing blades. I don't think I will disassemble the TFC each and every shave though. I only used it a few times when I first got it, and I have dozens of other razors. Sounds like too much trouble for a $28 razor, lol.

brit likes this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Threads shouldn't rot if plated. If they aren't lacquering them should also seal them enough without causing the threads to bind. If you happen to overcoat them you can chase the thread afterwards with the same thread die or nut by running it up and down the thread a few times to break off the excess.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Fourth shave - OG Gibbs adjustment nut set at N.

OG Gibbs was readjusted prior so the nut now stops at almost 1 when fully tightened. This was the best shave yet in the comparisons, even better though not by much when the nut was upside down and didn't align to 1 when fully tightened. With that said the Heritage has been able to hang with the Gibbs through the equivalent to this by my imprecise methods. For the same amount of blade feel the Gibbs is much more efficient for about the same smoothness so far. If the Heritage was a home run that just clears the outfield wall, the Gibbs is a home run hit into the bleachers all things being equivalent. Next 2 shaves the kid gloves comes off and both will be set to about 5 to see how they perform and compare on the wild side of the scale.

brit likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Fifth shave - Heritage Gibbs adjustment nut set at 4 1/2.

This one was total surprise. The razor was actually milder than at the lower settings I've used. I want to say the blade was bad but I did get a full BBS finish on the face except for under the chin which was subpar at best. I checked the adjustment and it was working correctly so the question becomes is it a cap orientation problem or some thing else if this is not performing as intended. With that said I plan to pivot over the OG Gibbs for the next 2 shaves to test it at this setting and switching out the springs then I'll do the final shaves on the Heritage with a new blade.

brit likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Sixth shave - Left, Heritage Gibbs adjustment nut set at 4 1/2. Right OG Gibbs adjustment nut set at 4 1/2.

Decided to do a side by side shave. First I checked the Heritage to see if the cap was the issue. There was some slop but it shouldn't have been enough to cause that much of a drop in performance going to a higher adjustment. So for this shave I swapped out the blade with a fresh one and made sure the gaps were exact on the Heritage. They both felt the same with one exception the OG Gibbs was somewhat tuggy under the chin on XTG and ATG passes. That also showed in that I need to stypic pencil for the right side on the neck but not the left. End result the OG Gibbs was the better BBS finish. Both were smooth WTG but ATG only the OG Gibbs side (right) was smooth, the other side was still rough feeling.

Short story long the Heritage is that mild regardless of the efficiency that anything but a super sharp blade will degrade the performance. Last shave I will open up the Heritage to at least 6 if not overclocking it more to see if I can at least match the OG Gibbs shave on 4 1/2 in a last side by side. Conclusions to follow that shave.

brit likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Seventh shave - Left, Heritage Gibbs adjustment nut set at 6. Right OG Gibbs adjustment nut set at 5 1/2.

I originally planned to do the OG Gibbs at 4 1/2 but inadvertently moved the adjustment knob so 5 1/2 it is. As expected the difference between the 2 shaves was much less as they both are set more aggressively. Gibbs has more blade feel but same level of mildness as the Heritage at this setting. End result the OG Gibbs was a perfect BBS no stubble feel rubbing the hand in any direction on the face, Heritage BBS but very minimal stubble feel rubbing the hand ATG. In most cases the Heritage would be more than good enough for most people but the point of this was how high and how close to an OG Gibbs can in perform if one wanted. If I overclock the Heritage to the equivalent of a 7 or 8 on the dial as long as the blade is still tight with no chatter it should reach perfect BBS performer. I may still try that but the last shave for this comparison will be with the springs switched out to see how much they cause each to differ from each other at the same setting.

With that said they are pretty close in feel, not 100% the same but at least 90% or better. If you were looking for the OG Gibbs shave experience these razors are noted for this razor will definitely give a good approximation of it.

18. ShaversRUs

That is, if the Heritage Gibbs were not sold out. :angry032:
    I assume they will one day be back in stock.

Thanks for this, it was very helpful. :happy096:

I like experiencing classic razors without the classic price. Since I was disappointed in the Pearl Flexi (albeit after only one shave), this might fit the bill for me...some day. And I do already have the Yaqi TFC. :eatdrink020:

brit likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Supposedly they plan to do versions in all brass and stainless steel. If they do though I doubt they will be in the sub $100 retail range. Unless it is a financial or vendor issue they should have no problems producing larger runs of these and selling them unless a $70 - $80 price tag unless a hard sell for the non artisan cheapskate crowd like myself. They've probably tapped out the Artisan groupie crowd that buys every new razor that is being pimped on forums or social media so the next lower tier of razor users is the target market now.

brit likes this.
  20. ShaversRUs

That's me.:innocent