Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and green: What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I have recently been using a Gillette 7 o'clock green (super stainless) blade for my Saturday Wildcard shave. I see there is a 7 o'clock yellow blade (sharp edge). What is the difference between the two (besides the colour of the package)? Which one is smoother? Sharper?

NapalmCola and AGHisBBS like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The greens are uncoated and the yellows are coated. The yellow is generally recognized as the smoother blade.

NapalmCola, AGHisBBS, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  3. Rusty blade

I see there is a 7 o'clock Black as well...

4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

ya just gotta buy 'em and try 'em

If I had to pick one it would be the black SP but lots of folks swear by the yellows

AGHisBBS and Rusty blade like this.
  6. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

........and I like the Russian Green's! I also very much like the 7 O'Clock Blues, but they are hard to find and expensive now.

7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Bob, tell me you haven't tried the Blacks.
    If you have, I'll concede; but if you haven't, I'll send you a pack so you'll realize the greens and blues are wannabes. ;)

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Agree: the blacks are great. Which reminds me; I'm all out:(

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've tried them all. I prefer the Yellows the most, and the Greens the least. Blacks are good too.
    1. Yellows- smooth, sharp, long lasting
    2. Blues- discontinued. Smooth and sharp
    3. Blacks- sharp, not as smooth as the yellows.
    4. Greens- Sharp, so, so, smoothness. Not long lasting, for me

NapalmCola, AGHisBBS and Rusty blade like this.
  10. Rusty blade

I've been pricing the yellows... I see they are not cheap. For anyone that uses the yellows, how do they compare to Astra SPs? I have been using Astra SPs exclusively for months now.

11. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Love the Russian greens. I can easily get 5 shaves out of a blade.

12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

This has been my experience. I like the greens, but really like the yellows.

Rusty blade and AGHisBBS like this.
  13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

John-I have tried the Blacks. I was really sticking to the Russians. The Indian Blacks are a very good blade. I still have a few.

Rusty blade, AGHisBBS and John Beeman like this.
  14. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

There is a YouTube channel called nickshaves. He reviewed the entire 7 o'clock lineup. You should check it out. He rated the green superstainless Russian made as the best. He also rated it as part of his best gear for 2015 as a go to blade. I use these greens as well and I really like them. I actually bought 50 of them and was using them before I saw his video. Hope this helps.

AGHisBBS and Bobcat like this.
  15. DaltonGang

All of this is subjective. Just try all of them, and find the ones you like the most.

NapalmCola, BamaT, Joef and 5 others like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Asking for blade advice is like asking which type of underwear is the best. Just because I like boxers doesn't mean the next guy isn't a fan of briefs, or boxer briefs, or prefers to go 'au naturel.'

brit, NapalmCola, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  17. Rusty blade

Thanks Ryan...I will check out Nick's video. I find it difficult to distinguish between different blades. Even my Astra SPs that I use every day vary based on how many shaves I have on each blade. So the consistency changes. I have been using a 7 o'clock green blade lately and have found it quite nice. And yes, I know blades are the ultimate YMMV...
    Late Edit: Sorry...I meant to respond to @Jbrew comment about Nick Shaves. Apologies.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. Rusty blade

Just watched Nick's video on the 7 o'clock Super Stainless blade and he raved about this blade. I must dig those out of my drawer and use them for a couple of weeks...

Bobcat likes this.
  19. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

I agree with @PLANofMAN that razors are an individual thing. What works for me may not work for someone else. I did like the nickshaves videos because he offered his thoughts on sharpness and smoothness of the blades. Again taken with a grain of salt. He has a best of 2015 video as well which featured the Russian green 7s for those who are interested.

20. DaltonGang

All I can say is that I've just finished shave #21 with my Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow.
    Still smooth shaving, and delivers excellent shaves. No sign of tugging, yet.
    (This is why I prefer the Yellows)

NapalmCola and BamaT like this.