Gillette Adjustable DE Razors - A Complete Photo

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Mar 10, 2017.

1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Well here are more of my thoughts on the Gillette Adjustables:
    1) They we meant to be a one size fits all solution. Sometimes the range of adustablity doesn't work for some people. But it does work for many many.
    2) Great first razor! Yes you had an adjustable and found it complicated, but you didn't need to buy 9 different razors to find something that worked. When you are a more experienced shaver, you have a period of RAD and 9 razors is nothing to buy. Can you find a non-adjustable the is less complicated and perfect for you? Yes, but how many non-adjustables did you have to buy? Adjustables can eliminated the need for RAD - ha ha!
    3) You can to a dial down or dial up shave. For example first pass more aggressive and subsequent passes less aggressive. Personally I am a dial down guy WTG - 7, XTG - 6, ATG - 5: But that's me. I would have to have three different razors to do that same shave. My go to non-adjustable is a Wolfman Dual Comb. The open comb side is more aggressive and I finish with the solid bar side. And I don't have to think either...
    4) They are a mechanical work of art. Other razors are no where near as complicated. They are difficult to manufacture and counterfeit. All this makes them the very very best razor to collect. The pinnacle of automated razor making craft.
    5) Adjustables are just cool!

LOOT, Taipan, Demidog and 1 other person like this.
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

No, that one was assigned to Eversharp and, I assume, covers parts of the Adjustable Krona.

I'm still looking. It appears to actually be easier to find the patent for the near-mythical Adjustable Gem Pushbutton.

GlennConti likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Superb collection!!

GlennConti likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think I've given up all my adjustables. Nothing against them, just wasn't using them.

jmudrick and GlennConti like this.
  5. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Now, *there's* an idea...

GlennConti likes this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It never occurred to me that I'd need three different razors to get a great shave. I can very much appreciate the beauty of a Fatboy but I found myself always wanting to use other razors that gave me more enjoyable shaves (including a PAL Adjustable), a better balance of comfort and efficiency than I was getting with the Fatty at any setting. I know however that the friends I gave my Slims to are enjoying them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    LOOT and twhite like this.
  7. GlennConti

I just shaved with one of my Schick Adjustable Injectors... Great shave.

twhite likes this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I think this is the one I saw before: 3,209,454
    [​IMG]

LOOT and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

My Executive is marked G1, so a little later than your excellent description. It has the usual, horizontal 'Fat-boy' knurling.

I have the Toggle; Fat-Boy; Slim; SA 109; SA 84; SA Gold; Executive and Aristocrat Adjustable. They don't crop up as often here in the UK, especially the earlier ones like the red-dot and bottom dial. You have a brilliant collection.

What are you collecting now that your adjustable urge is nearly satisfied?

10. GlennConti

Way cool! Would it be possible to get some photos of your razor? Especially one of the date stamping? I live for this stuff - ha ha. If it works out, I could include one or some on the site, change the date info there to show G1 as the ending date and attribute you if you like. I will PM you my email address. Thanks. As far as my most recent purchase it was a no serial number double ring set. was a nice one, if I do say so myself.

11. GlennConti

12. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Here you go:

2017ExecG1.jpg

2017ExecSet.jpg

Keithmax, LOOT and brit like this.
  13. GlennConti

I hate to be a big pain. Sorry I am just a beggar and a chooser too. I would love one photo that shows the entire date stamp? Pretty please? I can crash your name on the photo too...

14. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Hi Glenn. I'm not the best photographer but I'll see what I can do.

15. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Is this OK?

2017Execg1Complete.jpg

16. GlennConti

Thank you so much. I updated the website with what you gave me. You can check it out if you like. Thanks a million!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  17. GlennConti

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. GlennConti

Thank you sir. Would you like your name on the photo "Courtesy of ...."? Let me know. Thanks again

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy097: You guys can sure be sticklers sometimes.:)
    ok I've actually got about 9 or 10 total, mostly Slims, but the SA has two different handle versions, long handle and short handle. I thought he ment actual different types not just total razors. :confused:

20. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

His collection is of razors each unique in its own way. Take a look at his full website, things will be clearer.