Gillette adjustables 1958 - 1960

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, May 26, 2021.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Go onto certain shave forums and tell them they sold Toggles in 1957 and see how many no they didn't since they came with D1 date codes on them responses.

PLANofMAN, brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ohhhh Kkkkkk. TMI there. Now I am scared. Does your wife know about your fondness for this kind of shiny stuff??

Jorvaljr likes this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Lol a little humor from me to you. :D

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I know. :eatdrink047:

Jorvaljr likes this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Well if nothing else shiney there would be a good endorsement for whatever razor he used to manscape his chest and arms.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Jorvaljr likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Even though there are standard fatboys with dates codes from D3 - E2 the advertising record shows different. Keep in mind they may have introduced the standard Fat Boy earlier in other markets than the US. There is also another possibility I'll elaborate on after the pictures,

Here is an ad from Jan of 1959. You can see by the base plate the razor they are selling is still the Red Dot version of the Fat Boy.
    jan59.jpg jan59full.jpg

By June of 1959 late May is earliest date I found they switch over to the standard Fat Boy ahead of Father's Day. It is also coincides with the razor being renamed as the "195" adjustable razor.
    jun59.jpg jun59full.jpg

One possible explanation for this is we know they had already introduced moveable base plate design the Fat Boy uses on the Executives in 1958 so any of the base plates stamped with D3 - E2 could have been made originally for Executive razors and reused on the Fat Boys when they first came to market.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    IAmTheJody and brit like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

May 28th of 1959 is the earliest ad I found for a standard Fat Boy.
    may59.jpg may59full.jpg

brit likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    brit likes this.