Gillette adjustables - any functional diffs?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Epimetheus, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

The Fat Boy is the most desired and expensive, the Slim and the Black Beauty are more affordable.

Do they shave differently or is the Fat Boy more desired for the weight and feel?
    Is the Merkur Futur significantly better or just different?

I ask because recently I obtained a BB and it does well, I like a long handle.

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Everybody prefers something different. I like the slims

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I've heard that the fatboys have tougher insides that jam up less. the head shape is slightly different as well. I only have a fatboy so I can't say for sure.

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

This is an interesting question. I have handled quite a few. From my observation, the Slim is far and away the most reliable. The TTO function and adjustment almost never fail, where as the action of the Fat Boy and its higher profile head geometry lead to more alignment gap issues and problems with the mechanism. The Super Adjustable mechanism is as good or better as the Slim but...the aluminum construction of the handle leads to a bit of corrosion that seems to jam up the TTO function is some cases.

More subjectively, the Slim and Fatboy are more pleasing to my eye, but the Super Adjustable is SO MUCH better as a smooth and efficient shaving instrument. When my face feels beat up (I have a clumsy propensity, for which my face seems to pay most of the cost), my Super Adjustable on about 7 just gets the job done quickly and helps my face feel better.

The toggle design is quite different from it immediate successor in the Fat Boy, especially in the way the adjustment plate moves and is formed, but it feels very similar.

Omaney and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  6. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I have each, and have used them for many years without any types of problems whatsoever. I believe the Fatboy is one of those rare razors where everything just came out just right. The perfect look, size, weight, balance and shaving characteristics.
    I have many razors and often forget to use my Fatboy in my razor rotation. When I do use it, I am always pleasantly surprised at how well it shaves.
    Yes, it does command a higher price, but considering it's a once in a lifetime purchase, the few extra dollars in cost, pale in comparison to the experience of using a true classic razor that has been an integral part of American shaving history for so many years.

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I definitely favor my fatboy over my slim and super adjustable. Not because of the way they shave, but I like the balance and looks of the fatboy best. Shave quality is probably the same.

If I really had to rank them, it would probably be the fatboy, then the black beauty and then the slim. Keep in mind that this is a virtual tie!

Jayaruh likes this.
  8. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

1-IMG_20151107_091849140.jpg 1-IMG_20151107_091910430.jpg 1-IMG_20151107_091951228.jpg 1-IMG_20151107_091957748.jpg 1-IMG_20151107_092022268.jpg 1-IMG_20151107_092026480.jpg A few quick pictures of the different variants. Not as precise as above, but all the various key types. All set on 5. My Super Adjustable-84 is functionally the same as the 109.

chrisbd, Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  9. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

The only adjustable I have right now is a 1959 Fatboy, Whenever it comes up in my rotation I smile like I know something that no one else does LOL:bounce015:

waddowedonowmo and Redrock like this.
  10. For me if I could only have 1 razor it would be the FatBoy. It really works for me. AMazing shave. I own a EJ DE89L, Gillette Slim, a $2 Chinese Razor (that gives a great shave) Gillette Pre-war Tech and I've recently tried a Futur. For me I get without a doubt the best shave with the FatBoy. I just got the FB and didn't think it could be better than the Slim as they look similar in design but in my opinion it is.

Redrock likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
  12. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

That is great info! Thanks for the detailed pics, descriptions, and your experiences.

I will look out for both the Slim and the FatBoy. I obtained a long -handle Super Adjustable for my brother. He wants to try DE shaving and we both have fine hair and sensitive skin. The adjustable allows him to dial it in and the long handle is better for his very large hands.

I will also send him a selection of blades and whatever else to get him started.

Boojum1 and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Now, that's a good brother.:happy088:

chrisbd likes this.
  14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Not sure if you still looking?
    FS: Vintage Gillette Razors including '65 Slim Adjustable

15. 211bma

211bma Active Member

I prefer my Fat Boys to my Slims but they are both really nice shavers. I don't have any other adjustable razors. I am pretty sure that it has mostly to do with the weight and balance of the razor. I was surprised when I received the FB as I already had the Slim and I assumed the head being larger on the FB it would not do as nice a job, but found the Fat Boy superior for me.

Michael Carpino likes this.
  16. This was exactly me experience..... The FB has some mystery to it as the shave is better. Gillette stopped making them and to me it was a mistake as it's a great razor.