Gillette British no.80 set 1961

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Dec 11, 2019.

1. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

But one thing is for certain. Both US TV Special Sets are case specific (and say so). The Brit no such markings, but then again it's the Brit's. I do agree I'd like to see and ad to clear it up, but as we see here in the States Gillette was famous for occasionally throwing the same razor in different cases.

brit likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    I know this is more speculation, but it does show the No. 80 set being sold alongside a traveller deluxe set in 1961. Since there is no picture, it's hard to say if the 1961 deluxe traveller is the same as what we've always called a 1958 deluxe traveller, but I would tend to think so.

brit likes this.
  3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I said above I can't "disagree" so not trying to start an argument. However I'm just positive that Gillette sold razors in the UK before this price list. These 5 razors are Flair Tips. The US Flair Tip design started in 54 I find it hard to believe the Brit's didn't follow suit until the 60's. But who knows. The Set #80 is a prime example of the cross pollination (so to speak) of Gillette razors. It has the same vertical Rhodium handle that was used in the Travellers Set. Mr Razor got that 50's date for the Travellers set from somewhere? For the record I don't claim to be an expert - just a collector.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

one should ask Achime..

5. brit

brit in a box

the brits had flare tip superspeeds in the 50s with pointy endcaps..blu.normal and redtip.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

What a collector calls it and what it actually is may not be the same. It doesn't diminish what you have there. The razor and the set is still the razor and set regardless of what it is called.

brit likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/brit-pat-694093-ii-what-is-the-ii.62951/

If you want to read up there is whole bunch of information on all these sets.

The 58 date is still extremely dubious for a few reasons. First off in 1958 they were still selling British Super Speeds. There is no mention of any British flare tip razors in 58. The first versions according the advertising record comes out in 1959 and also no mention of a TV Special. The British flare tip which is not a Rocket even though everyone calls it a Rocket was simply called a one piece razor or Gillette 60 Special from 1959 - 1961. That would put that razor as the first British flare tip made which everything points against right now. The traveler sets we know of that were sold in 59 came with a nickel plated razor ruling out that one. Earliest date for that razor is either 60 or 61 which we know for sure it was sold that year.

With all that said if more information comes forth proving me wrong then I will change my conclusions accordingly.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

1950s-uk-gillette-newspaper-advert-EXT99X.jpg what year was this ad..

Chuck Naill and preidy like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

8152d0b091d937efc371e02f9fcbff45.jpg 1958 ,new? red tip with rocket action must be newer and made later than the u.s versions..

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Chuck Naill and preidy like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

seems flare tip a nick name ..

preidy likes this.
  11. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Scouring thru my (unorganized) files found this to add to the pile.
    TravellersSet.jpg

Chuck Naill, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I agree I guess it's Yankee speak. It does seem to coincide with the US version switch from gen 1 super speed to the gen 2 with the flair tip design handle.

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

20191213_052411.jpg 20191213_052637.jpg
    i guess the rocket action red tip is 59 0nly?..50s superspeed and early/mid 60s slim/squarecap /rocket action version.last year 65..black handle in 66..

preidy likes this.
  14. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Well here are a few other references to a "Rocket" (aka HD500) and then ref to the Super Speed. Another is the Canadian "Rocket" in the Red case marked "Rocket" on the lid.

C 1953 Rocket HD England.jpg vintage-advertising-for-gillette-rocket-set-from-1956-P2X7RF.jpg

brit likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

brit, PLANofMAN and preidy like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Is that a British or Australian ad?

And 58 is correct calling that new. Those are not Rocket action razors. They are the British made Super Speeds, far as I know only sold in places like Australia and South Africa and made for sure from 1958 - 1961.

brit likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The 61 set has a 3pc razor in the Traveller set.

brit, PLANofMAN and preidy like this.
  18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I've been doing some checking on the Brit "TV Special" to see if I could determine where the heck I got that name, although I'm somewhat still sure that's how it was sold to me. I found an old 2008 posting on this site by "Rocket Man" that gives a complete run down on the various "Flair Tip" Rockets, incl. a "TV Special". Also I've seen discussion about them back in 2016 on a Brit site and over on Blade and Badger a guy just sold a large Brit razor collection incl four "TV Specials although not in the same case as I have. I've left messages to try and get more info from these guys. I suspect that I got the "TV Special" moniker from Mt Rocket Man. His posting is quite in-depth and I completely forgot about it but I now recall using it as a reference back when I was on the hunt to try and obtain all of the Flair Tips he showed in his posting.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

brit likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Correct. Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]
    The Deluxe Traveller is a different set.

preidy and brit like this.