Gillette DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by saltypete, Feb 5, 2009.

1. saltypete

saltypete New Member

G'day, from the reading I have done here, it is obvious that the vintage Gillette DE razors are extremely highly thought of by experienced shavers. I like the look of them, as well as the idea of a classic design which works well 30, 40, 50 years after it was made. I have a Mekur HD which I am liking more and more after every shave, however I would like to eventually try a classic razor. From looking on E bay I see quite a variety, even among Gillettes. What would you guys reccomend as a starting point for someone new to DE's?

Cheers
    Pete

2. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Hello, Pete. I think a Super Speed would be your best bet, particularly the 1940's style. Check them out here.

3. progrmr

progrmr New Member

I just got my first DE and its a Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip. Can't compare it to your Merkur, but I just did my first DE shave last night and it performed very well. Not agressive, only had 1 minor nick not even worth mentioning and I got a very good shave with the exception of a couple of really tough spots.

< $20 shipped via eBay. Excellent deal and its in great shape too.

4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Gillette made a whole boodle of fine razors over the years, it will boil down to what you and your face likes. I have 1947, 1951 and 1957 SuperSpeeds that all shave well though I prefer the '47. I also have Slim adjustables from 1962 and 1965 but can't tell any difference in them. Just got my Fatboy that I will try over the weekend so no comment there yet. I have several Tech that are mild shavers and excellent bargains but they are the 3 piece design and not everyone likes that.

I would say read reviews on various razors, look at them and decide what appeals to you then proceed to get the "1st" one. If that one doesn't work, get something different and try again. The nice thing is that most are inexpensive and most are readily available.

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

The super speed is a good starting point...as for the generation, well, ask 5 people, get 7 different answers :D
    Many folks point to the late 40's model as a baseline, and I while I do like it, I like the 50's and 60's flair tips a bit better.
    There's also the Tech as already mentioned. The Tech was my first DE, and I still use it, great mild shaver.
    If you're not stuck on vintage Gillettes, don't overlook the Schick Krona, one of my favorites, very much like a super speed, twist-to-open type razor, but with a plastic handle. I wasn't too crazy about it at first, but it really is a solid razor, and an excellent shaver.
    Then you get to adjustables...Fatboys, Slims, Super Adjustables, Black Beauties.....

errrr, just embrace it!

6. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I would say a tech, but a superspeed would be a good choice as well.

7. Musky

Musky New Member

Personally I went with a SuperSpeed after my Merkur HD, but then I purchased a FatBoy and have to say that I like it better with a heftier head and adjustable blade exposure.

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Super Speed, Tech or Krona. You couldn't go wrong with any of those.

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

You could probably throw a Gillette Knack (or British version Slim Twist) into the mix, as well. The Knacks are very similar to the Krona and replaced the Super Speed as Gillette's DE offering.

10. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

dadgum it, I had that one in mind to suggest too, but forgot :ashamed001

11. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

I'd been using a 40s SS for the first couple of weeks, but my upper lip favors the lower profile head of the slim. Based on that, I may seek out a late 60s SS next.

12. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

I have a number of really nice ones right now. :happy088

13. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

My AD funds are all spent for now, but thanks for thinking of me. :D

14. saltypete

saltypete New Member

Thanks to everyone who responded. I picked up a Flaretip (with a Z code) online for $26US shipped. Even with the poor state of the Aussie Dollar, I think I got a good deal.

Pete

15. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Nice! Let us know how the first shave goes.

16. saltypete

saltypete New Member

Will do!

Pete

17. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

My favorite non adjustable Gillette is the late 40s early 50s Aristocrat. They have a fatter handle then the SS which like and a superb grip, the fact that they're gold and very classy looking doesn't hurt either.

18. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

The English models are also something to look out for, they are generally worth more, and better built. They are very mild though, my #58 with a Gillette Swede blade is so gentle that I can barely feel it when shaving WTG. :D

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I have to agree. Definitely the best of the Gillette TTOs that I have used.

20. profsaffel

profsaffel The a**s go marching one by one

I've been happy with anything in the '60s range. But I'm certainly a fan of the Schick Krona for daily use.