Gillette DE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by saltypete, Feb 5, 2009.

1. progrmr

progrmr New Member

Still lovin' my SS - had my 4th shave today its the best shave yet. My blade angle and technique are pretty much there. I can't believe how close my shave is with a single blade edge.

Still, I'm looking forward to trying some other DE's. I think I'm going to try a Merkur HD when I have a few extra dollars laying around.

2. saltypete

saltypete New Member

I'm loving my Mekur HD. Every shave my technique improves and the results are better. I'm finding that the Astra Blade I've been using is not quite as good as the Derby, it seems to have dulled quicker. I have bought a couple of vintage Gillettes (the flaretip I mentioned Earlier and a 1949 SS) they should arrive in the next couple of weeks and I can't wait to try them.

Pete

3. I just ordered a 40's gillette SS from RazorThief here on the boards and I cannot WAIT to use it. I see that some have had good luck with the Derbys, is that just a personal preference?

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I own a '57 Superspeed, '6? Knack, and '7? Fatboy. The Superspeed is my favorite by far. The balance on the Knack doesn't feel as good, plus the plastic handle just makes it feel like a lesser tool. It's also a little more agressive, but not overly so. The Fatboy seem to either shave to mild or too harsh for my face. Hoever, with a mild setting of "3", it does do a nice job shaving my head.

5. Quest

Quest New Member

I have a 40's Susperspeed and a Gillette New and there is a tech that i have my eye on the ss is definitely a lot tamer