Gillette Double Ring Owners Club

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I thought it would be fun to start a thread to see how many of you out there have acquired your Gillette Double Ring razor yet. I got mine on June 8, 2017 from an antique shop. It was labelled WWII Serviceman's Razor, $25. When I saw the double rings and the price, I wasted no time adopting this razor. The case was well worn, but the razor had all its teeth, and they were straight, too.

So, join the club by posting a picture or pictures of your GDR razor with whatever commentary you like. Finding a double ring in any shape is a rarity. Mine is the only one I have seen in real life since I started looking back in 2011. You can put this link in your signature: Gillette Double Ring Owners Club (GDROC)

Before cleaning:
    [​IMG]

After cleaning and a little silver polish.
    [​IMG]

After second round of polishing. It is looking great.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. brit

brit in a box

fine piece of gillette history Jim.nice score.:cool:

Frank Shaves and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Frank Shaves

Frank Shaves Well-Known Member

Congrats that turned out beautifully!

Jayaruh likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks, guys. I was hoping for some other double ring examples. I have been seeing some on other sites and thought it would be fun to see if we had some owners on TSD.

Frank Shaves and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i do believe there are more double ring owners here.. @Jorvaljr.

Jorvaljr and Frank Shaves like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I do happen to have one. My razor probably wins an award for the most jacked up razor. Talk about a frakenrazor! I was able to fix it sort of with the help of my parts bin. This razor is aggressive compared to the single rings i shave with. The teeth are really thin compared to others.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The teeth weren't that thin when new. That razor has seen thousands of shaves.

brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I tend to handle it with care everytime i shavw with it and set it down. Lol i sort of think of it as a frail old man. Its the grand pappy of my shave collection

brit likes this.
  9. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    There must be more. I know @Kevin wine has one.
    I've looked since 2012 and have somehow acquired 3 in the last two months!
    My keeper is first. I bought it in a lot of 60 razors for $175. The story is the local 3rd generation barber retired, and sold the contents of the shop to a clean out guy. I bought from him. The knob is brassed, and I love it because it's likely from commercial use to replace the blade multiple times a day.
    Second is 1905 in a 50/50 case, 3rd is 1904 no case. Willing to part with one of them :)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, brit, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool. There are still some out there evidently. Here is a chance for someone to get in on the club.

Old School and brit like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I feel sorry for your inbox, it's going to get pounded like Wily E. Coyote getting hit with an Acme anvil.

I wish I could afford one.

I still have that clear fishhook Rooney brush you were interested in once upon a time... ;)

brit likes this.
  12. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I have a vague recollection of that brush...could be interested for my collection, at the same time I'd like to thin it.
    Ever attempt tooth straightening on a double ring? I have it a shot on a pretty beat new Deluxe head... it now has a missing tooth.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've fixed teeth on single rings and old types before. I would think the process would be the same for a double ring.

I've even done it on some NEW heads before. In my experience, Gillette switched to a much harder red brass on the NEW, and fixing teeth on those is a dicey proposition. More than half of those break, even when you do everything correctly. The half that do straighten sometimes wind up with stress cracks anyways. I much prefer working on the Pre-1920's razors.

Got a close up of the tooth, and is there a stress crease? You can post it over on this thread, so we aren't derailing this one.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/how-to-fix-bent-teeth-on-a-vintage-razor.64472/

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  14. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

I have one, but no photos.
    So you must trust me. :taunt002:

brit and Enrico like this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

FYI, there is another Double Ring for sale in eBay, but it is hidden in an Auction of other razors, in a Lot. I suspect the price will soar.

16. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's hidden?
    There are 10 bids and 21 watchers as I am writing this. I would not call that hidden. LOL

17. DaltonGang

Well, it doesn't list it in any of the descriptions. If the seller knew what they had, it would be listed alone, and cleaned up. Under all that crud, it looks to be in excellent shape. But, this lot has already hit high bidding prices(relatively).

18. DaltonGang

ChrisB likes this.
  19. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Interesting listing. There are a lot of razors there, is that a fair price for the lot? The double ring wouldn't have caught my attention and looks pretty cruddy.

20. DaltonGang

Cruddy is fine, as long as there isn't damage(except one bent tooth) or extreme wear. I can't see that in the pictures. But, I know one thing, I didn't buy the lot. Without the Double ring, it might have sold for $90 or so. But, that's just a guess. They were definitely bidding on that Double Ring.

ChrisB likes this.