Gillette English Aristocrat #22?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by oldjoe, Feb 6, 2019.

1. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I purchased this razor and the open/close mechanism needed a heck of a lot of work; soaking and cleaning soaks to get smooth enough to think it wouldn't break. And, the end result is OK but it is still not smooth. What would be the equivalent English Gillette Aristocrat, shaving the same, that doesn't have an aluminum handle. The shave with the #22 is about perfect! The opening and closing is not. I blame the aluminum handle as a heck of a lot of dark grayish black ooze came out during cleaning. And, no I did not try to take it apart. Thanks for advice!

2. brit

brit Well-Known Member

a #22, 66 or 70 with the brass/rhodium handles will feel the same but heavier. the hd500 and #58 have a little more blade gap..the aristocrat jr are very similar as well..hope this helps a little.

3. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Yes, that does help! I think I will search for a #66 or 70? I hope the shave is exactly the same as I have not found anything better then my "flawed"? aluminum #22. Thanks!

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit Well-Known Member

your welcome..the brass handled #22 has pat pending on the blade tray, the #66 has a pat number. the #70 is nickel plated not rhodium .all will have the diamond stamped base plate.the flat baseplate with 430030 on them are more aggressive for lack of the proper term.

5. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I purchased a #58, 1955 I believe? Says Brit Pat-694093 on tray. Ex+ condition. can't wait to try it out. It opens and closes the smoothest I've ever seen. I hope it does as well or better than the light Aluminum handle # 22.

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit Well-Known Member

very cool ,nice razor,is classed as an aristocrat jr.i love mine..enjoy..

7. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

For what it's worth the #58 does better for me than the #22 with aluminum handle. Very nice smooth and efficient shave with the #58. I don't have a #16 but I don't think it would be a better razor for me. The weight is about perfect! Thanks for all the advice!

brit likes this.
  8. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

Give it 4-5 soaks with hot water and soap while its standing in a glass. Leave it open upside down, then flip it. Do it a few times and the mechanism should work better. One or two cycles with a splash of vinegar might help as well, just make sure you mix the vinegar with the hot water before you put the razor in.

brit likes this.
  9. brit

brit Well-Known Member

glad you have found something you like, a #58 is a fine razor..in looks and function..