Gillette Fat Boy F4

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tales1973, Feb 1, 2015.

1. tales1973

tales1973 Member

I stopped bidding at $51. Was it a good deal?
    [​IMG]

2. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

The only person who can answer your question is you. If it is within your budget and you believe you got a good deal, then all is well. (Did the $52.00 win?)

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011:

LookingGlass and GDCarrington like this.
  4. tales1973

tales1973 Member

Its within my budget, but i don't know if I'm paying too much. My question, what would a razor like that cost?

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking Fatboy and it looks like it comes with the original case and blue blades. If you got it for $51 you should be very happy!

SRNewb, gwsmallwood and GDCarrington like this.
  6. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

They sold for $1.95 when new, in fact Gillette called it the 195 for that reason.

7. tales1973

tales1973 Member

Yeah, the budget isn't a problem. It could be for a collection. Ill use it, just don't know what a $1.95 razor from 1960 is worth for weekly use.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

With a case and razor in nice shape in today's market, I think you did well for yourself if you won the bidding at $51.

Many people have paid far more than $51 for a Vintage 195 and use them daily.

9. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Gillette has some great history for sure! The best one I think is still the "Goodwill" razor. ;)

10. tales1973

tales1973 Member

It was a few bucks when i placed my bid. When i bid on something i set my maximum bid at what its worth. I think thats what the other bidder did.

11. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Not trying to be difficult, but this is just about an unanswerable question. I have seen these razors sell for $35.00 and $135.00 and even higher. I set my personal limit for a Fatboy at $50.00 and, after much patience, was able to find one. It is not pristine and shows its 50 year age but it gives great shaves and I am satisfied. I wish you the best in your search for a Fatboy.

Herm2502 and GDCarrington like this.
  12. tales1973

tales1973 Member

Thanks, Ive been watching them for a few months. Still 6 days left... Maybe ill try again.

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    There are plenty out there. I set my price and had three bids on three fatboys. I figured if I won them all, I could pick the best and sell the rest. Well, I got one and I am happy with it.

David Green and LookingGlass like this.
  14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm not sure if this helps.
    but I don't think I'd sell mine for fifty one bucks.
    they are nice razors that they don't make anymore.
    there are many out there, one will come to you.
    I personally don't feel like less than sixty is bad. that's what some new in production razors cost. to get s nice one fifty years old, for less than sixty?
    only my opinion.

GDCarrington and LookingGlass like this.
  15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Be patient. I finally found one for $40 on the B&B forum. You have to set your max price and stick to it. You'll find one, they're it there.

SRNewb and Jayaruh like this.
  16. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

I picked up my Fat Boy E3 for $60 if I remember right.

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

If you can afford it, like/want it. Buy it. I think it's worth $51 in today's market. If not more. Condition. Condition. Condition.

18. tales1973

tales1973 Member

Agreed, i would like to try an adjustable razor. This was in nice used condition, I stopped at $65. There is another, no bids not as nice $249

It's in nice shape, but ill look into "modern" adjustable's
    [​IMG]

178-bplatoon likes this.
  19. tales1973

tales1973 Member

Auction ended, $360.00 shipped.

20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Mine was $40 shipped I believe. Not anywhere near mint but a good shaver.
    So they can be head for a pretty reasonable price if you avoid any ad with the words "NOS", "Mint" and "In case" :)

[​IMG]

Herm2502 likes this.