Gillette Fat Boy F4

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tales1973, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Try posting on the WTB forum here. I did that and picked up a nice Fatboy and Slim in a package for what I considered to be a fair price.

2. tales1973

tales1973 Member

Thanks, for the replies. In all honestly i thought it was needed. TSD forums helped me improve my shave.

3. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

If you're shopping the big auction site, it's worth scouring through all the vintage razor ads. I picked up my 59' in a lot of three razors that the seller hadn't identified correctly.

4. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I got mine for $21 along with 3 SS's. It looked really bad, but once I cleaned it up it looks really good. Don't be afraid of the ugly ones they work just as well as the beauties.

5. Desi

Desi New Member

I stumbled across one yesterday at an antique / junk shop. Wasn't going to let a F2 fatboy sit on a shelf alone. I adopted it for $5. When I brought up to the counter, the guy running the place felt bad about charging me 75 cents extra to use the debt machine. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
    Cleaned off some soap scum from the jaws once at home, now I have essentially a new 1960 razor.
    The deals are out there, you just have to look. Or in my case not even looking.

DEfettish and Omaney like this.
  6. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

That one looks really nice $51 would have been a pretty good price. They've gone up since I bought mine a few years ago.

7. tales1973

tales1973 Member

Correct, the prices are going up. pulled the trigger on this.
    $_57 10.05.41 PM.JPG $_57 10.07.02 PM.JPG

8. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Look for a Gillette Slim. Marvelous razor, more reasonable price, same high quality. The Fatboys are crazy priced most times, especially on Ebay.
    My Slim (custom red lettering)

[​IMG]

45auto likes this.
  9. tales1973

tales1973 Member

I bought the FB in the thumbnails above. The price wasn't an issue. At $300 i rather spend the money on another G Loomis fishing rod or Avet reel.

10. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Can I ask what you paid for that one? Just curious, she looks really clean..............

11. tales1973

tales1973 Member

$110

12. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpg There are a few sellers on the bay with a great reputation and they get high dollar for their razors. The FBs with a good case and period correct blades are going for crazy prices. Looks like you found one off the beaten path. I hope you use it, as they are great razors. I have one that I got almost 1 yr ago for $62 shipped, (got lucky) and it is my go to razor. :eatdrink047:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  13. tales1973

tales1973 Member

Yeah, in the few months I've been searching the prices went up, Mergress are out of stock at $119. FB cases are going for $80. There are a few with case & blades listed for $250, not as nice as yours.
    I don't know what this is, but its listed at $777 with bowl & brush
    [​IMG]

SRNewb likes this.
  14. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

$777? Hahahahahahahahahaha!
    Excuse me. couldn't help it.:shocked029:
    I think it's a neat design, but puleeze.
    The doors look like they are lacquered. I've tried that with a NEW. Peeled off after about 3 months in one big sheet of lacquer. Certainly nothing about what has been done to this razor warrants that pricetag. MHO.

WhiskerWhacker likes this.
  15. tales1973

tales1973 Member

It looks like nail polish. Hydrographic would look better then that.

SRNewb likes this.
  16. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Read the description. He has a few and priced them high to get peoples attention.

Omaney likes this.
  17. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I urge people to try tag sales, especially in small towns. I was able to get a Fatboy for 20 bux. I am not gloating. Just be patient and you might get a good deal.

18. tales1973

tales1973 Member

I did, thats why i said "i don't know what this is" Im thinking thats not the way to get attention.
    I doubt he will take under $500. bottom line you click buy it now you're paying $777
    How much to you think he will come down

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  19. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

had to look up "tag sale"
    :signs002:

20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Well if one reads his entire description, one would hopefully realize that they're dealing with someone with a sense of humor. That vendor likes to tinker in his shop and fix up 195 razors. The way I see it (and him) there's little chance he'd take $777 from someone if they were stupid enough to hit the BIN.

BigMark likes this.