Gillette Fat Handle Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razor Reviews' started by shavingidiot savant, May 29, 2009.

1. Hi All,

After shaving with lots of different razors, I have a pretty good idea about what works for me. I've used about all the Gillette adjustable types, and a bunch of fixed heads as well. In addition, I also shaved with many open comb type razors. By now I can tell right away about a new razor's performance. My review is the result of shaving with the Tech twice.

I flat out love this razor! It's by far the best non adjustable razor I've tried, and it almost equals my go to razor (fatboy)for comfort and performance. The very first WTG stroke was a kick..........I KNEW this razor was a keeper. Even though the weight and head design was different than I was used to, it was instant bonding.....heh.

I picked an Iridium for the 'control' blade, since I know and like it very well. Many times those blades are too sharp when coupled with certain razors, especially with open combs. They're great in my fatboy, so any changes will be most likely due to the razor (or less than perfect technique).

First, the comfort level was almost perfect for my face.......I set my fatboy on #3 as a reference. The Tech felt almost exactly the same as far as aggressive nature to the fatboy, which was great! Most other fixed razors I've tried are a little too much for me, even with a milder blade. This one though.......whew. I can see why so many members like this thing. Heh, I'm only sorry it took so long for me to sample one.

The head design was no problem in the least.......no learning the angle of attack, no problem figuring if the pressure thing was needed (it was at times, but very little), no trial and error like I have with some other new to me razors. This thing is soooo easy to shave with.

Even though the razor is handle heavy, there's still very little need to bear down....even on those few tough spots I have. For whatever the reason, this razor cuts surprisingly close for one with not much weight to it. I'm gonna try a feather in this next, and I bet that will be a real treat.

Plus.........this has to be one of the most forgiving razors I've ever used. New members would be smart to consider one of these to learn technique. These are popular with lots of experienced members for a reason.

Heh, these are very inexpensive razors, but shave me better than many other more exotic types. I could easily use this daily if I hadn't found the fatboy(which I still prefer. Still, that's quite a complement for me.

Now keep in mind, I don't know if the other Techs will shave this way, but the Fat Handle version more than holds it's own. A very nice surprise for me.

Martin

EDIT: It's been a number of months since I posted the review above, and I've tried a bunch of other Tech versions in that time. Turned out the feather wasn't right for this razor, but the Iridium is perfect. If anything, my admiration for this type razor has increased. This is one of my very favorites.

2. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

I won a gold fat handled Tech in a PIF and my Merkur HD has been sitting on the side lines since I tried it out.

3. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Ladies and Gentleman,

i know,this Thread is a little older, but i would like to introduce a new member of my family.It´s a Gillette Fat Handle Tech.I received it today,from a very very nice guy out of the United States.Shipping took 4 weeks but this beauty is worth any waiting time and any money.

I am such a lucky guy to receive a razor in such good condition.What i read the last days made me very curious of this razor.I´m absolutely not dissapointed.Some people wrote that the razor is heavy...i have to make a comparison,but it seems for me that my Edwin Jagger DE89 or my Merkur 34c are at the same weight or maybe heavier.But thats no problem.Important is how the razor shaves.And this razor seems to shave very very smooth and gentle.:) Will try it the first time on my next sunday shave.Or should i try it the first time when i´m on holiday in Italy in 2 weeks?! :signs002: Don´t know...maybe you got some Ideas for me.;)

So,here now a few pictures of my new family member.By the way,i received a few blades with the razor.They seemed to be very old...Perhaps someone of you know interesting things about these blades and like to tell me something about them.I don´t know them...:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it as much as i do...

Take care.

178-bplatoon, MoAllen and feeltheburn like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet looker! May she give you many great shaves. Enjoy!

ChiefShaver likes this.
  5. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Beautiful condition, especially for something 70 years old!

My fat handled Tech is one of my favorite razors. It is easy to handle and it gives a comfortable close shave.

I have no experience with any of those vintage blades in the picture. My favorite pairing is with the modern Gillette Silver Blue blades, but of course YMMV :)

Wishing you many happy shaves.

ChiefShaver likes this.
  6. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Thank you for your kind words.:)

I will give it a try on sunday...can´t wait to use it.I´ve tried the Gillette Silver Blue´s in my EJ DE89 and they worked very well there.Has anyone tried a Feather in an Fat Handle Tech?! I´ve read a few posts that a few people make this combination to "the best shaving experience out there"...

Maybe i will give it a try,but i think the first shaves it will be an (green) Astra or the above mentioned Gillette Silver Blue.

Does anyone of you know if i have a chance to buy more blades of the Burma-Shave blades?!I found nothing on the Internet...:( Would like to test it out because the Text on the back of the packaging sounds very interesting.Sound weird,i know,but i like it.It´s catchy...

[​IMG]

Don´t want to use this one,because i have only 1 of it.This one comes into my "collection-showroom".;)