Gillette Fatboy 1960

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Turk, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Just found this post on ebay :RARE Gillette Bottom Dial FatBoy Adjustable razor 1960 (F4) This razor is Going for $1042 with 3 days left on ebay, 54 bids in already. Who would have ever thought back in the day that this would happen. Does anyone have any idea why this razor is so valuable?

2. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

!
    I have also seen that. These are ultra rare and folks go crazy over them when they pop up. Not many were produced and it's quite the collector. But wow!

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Yeah, that's a bottom dial Fat Boy. Very rare. That price is about right. If it had the original case, which has the magnifier circle in the lid on the other end, it would be even higher than what it is now.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The seller is well known in the shaving community and the "prototype / near prototypes" of any popular item generally will be valued highly.

5. samc

samc New Member

I saw that listing also and started thinking about all the old razors that just get thrown away.

6. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

like this one :)
    [​IMG]

7. IAmTheJody

New acquisition? ;)

8. Devildog

Devildog New Member

Only made in 1960. Was the original design of the fatboy until they decided to put the adjuster dial under the head. Rare

9. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

no, no, no! It was a long way to find this case.

10. IAmTheJody

Oh. I thought this was a new set for you since you were selling the one without case.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Come on Jody! You know Achim had to sell something to pay for the empty case. Besides, you know how it is, you drop the razor on the floor one too many times while shaving or you just decide you just don't like the way it looks at you when you're sleeping, and it's off to eBay with it.;)

I'm really kind of surprised you have any razors without cases, Achim. Your collection should be professionally photographed and the pictures put into a printing of those coffee table sized books for those of us who like to look but can't afford to touch.:D

awake2shave likes this.
  12. safaripete

safaripete New Member

There is another one ...a Gillette 195. 1-5 Bottom Dial. $1500.00 opening bid $1800 buy it now!!
    Boy I'll have to round up a lot of empty pop bottles and cans!!

13. ZackPomerleau

ZackPomerleau Active Member

;) Group buy?

14. Johnrv501

Johnrv501 New Member

I am the proud and probably crazy owner of the 5 setting Bottom Dial and a 9 setting bottom dial with case. I post pics, but haven't figured that part out yet, saying my images are too large.

15. Johnrv501

Johnrv501 New Member

The 9settng is an F4 the 5setting has no date code, leads me to believe it is a true prototype. Any other comments are most welcome

16. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

you just have to re-size them in any basic image program. I have that issue with alot of my photo's aswell

17. Johnrv501

Johnrv501 New Member

Ok, I'll give it a shot. Thanks! As A Matter Of Fact, Both of the BD Razors in my Mini Collection are ones mentioned in this forum thread. One I feel I got for a steal, it was only on eBay for 20minutes before I scarfed it up...... And Now I know how to resize images!! Thanks awake2shave! God Bless Ya!

Attached Files:

Conrad1959 and PLANofMAN like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    There are patent drawings for both the five setting and the nine setting bottom dial fatboys. The nine setting as indicated above was a production model. It was made for one year. The five setting was not a production model per se, but if I remember correctly, several hundred were made, not for the general market, but as presentation razors for Gillette management personnel to test (and keep). I have heard of one or two others. I believe Achim (Mr. Razor) owns one or both of them. They were also from the estates of former Gillette employees. The fact that you have cases for both of them is astonishing. If they are both in good shape, they could bring top dollar. The least rare of your two razors could sell for $1,500 or more (and that is probably the only time I will ever refer to a bottom dial fatboy as "least rare"). If you also had the adjustable toggle razor with a case, you would have the triumvirate of Gillette's most valuable razors. How much did you pay for those two razors? I don't mean to pry, but it seems like everyone's getting whacked by the razor fairy lately. One of our new members found a mint 1936 Aristocrat with it's case for $20 recently. That razor could fetch anywhere from $250-$350.

19. Johnrv501

Johnrv501 New Member

Makin sure I just didn't get Lucky!

Attached Files:

• BU2.jpg
      BU2.jpg
      File size:
      112.2 KB
      Views:
  20. Johnrv501

Johnrv501 New Member

I only have a case for The 9 setting. I don't know if one was actually Manufactured for the the 5 Setting, BUT I am in the Market for a bottom Dial Case Only if ANYONE has one to offer....