Gillette Foamy Menthol

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by BaldSoxFan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

Even though I usually use organic creams or artisan soaps now, I always liked Gillette Foamy Menthol for my quick, running late shaves. I noticed it was getting harder to find, so I contacted Gillette and they told me it has been discontinued. I know Walmart and Publix have some around here, so I may stock up, but I just wanted to share this info in case anybody was unaware.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

There's still some left at my local supermarket, but maybe there's a gradual decrease of the available cans.

Omelmad likes this.
  3. BaldSoxFan

BaldSoxFan Member

Apparently, it hasn't been discontinued. I see Gillette switched their packaging (going to the small lids on the can like Barbasol instead of the full lid) and the stores here have Gillette Foamy Menthol with the new packaging. I've seen the stock get low and empty, but then the next trip there is a full stock of Foamy Menthol on the shelf. Good since it's not a bad product for quick shaves or when don't feel like lathering soaps for a head shave.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've got a can put back. It works but Barbasol is better and the menthol could be stronger.

Omelmad likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

I have to correct myself, as my previous post referred to the Gillete Barbershop Fresh, not the Foamy Menthol. Foamy Menthol is going away, too? Shucks!(see how I go for the old-school stuff, now, lol). I tried that once and it was like putting an igloo on my face and neck, but it felt niiice in the hot summers. Yes, I saw the Barbasol-like lids on the regular Gillette's but just now my supermarket bought the full-lid ones again.

6. Paul Turner

People in here talk about "shaving in a hurry". Wouldn't that produce a lot of nicks and cuts? SEEMS it would, anyway.

engrsaks likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't hurry my shaves. If I don't have time to enjoy my shave the way I want to, I don't shave.

Bird Lives, Paul Turner and engrsaks like this.
  8. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

I have the original Gillette foamy Barbershop clean (the one gillette used to manufacture before Barbershop fresh). Great smell, stays with you for many hours. I used it today, mentioned in SOTD cartridge.

9. engrsaks

Not exactly, shaving in hurry, for me, means cutting down time. For example: Instead of making lather, using a canned foam. Instead of two pass shave, limiting myself to only one pass etc. etc. :)

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

If I had to use that crap in a can, I'd grow my beard back, just sayin......

178-bplatoon likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

They advise not to use aftershave with the barbershop clean....the cream scent is good enough, I suppose.

engrsaks likes this.
  12. engrsaks

Yes indeed. But if you use Brut original AS lotion, somehow the scent becomes even better. :)

13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I know it's all YMMV, but I've tried canned foam twice, and I didn't get it to work for me. I wonder how many people who started with soap and brush really switched to canned foam. It is a completely different experience.

engrsaks likes this.