Gillette goes against Safety razor (Bevel).

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Aug 24, 2016.

1. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

The news is somewhat old, but, an interesting article. In the end, Bevel has to discontinue its claims against ingrown hair problems.

Bevel vs. Gillette

Jorvaljr likes this.
  2. engrsaks

BTW, Gillette also went against hydro 3 about couple of days ago for the claim they made "Shaves better than mach-3".

Jorvaljr likes this.
  3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Interesting, given the quote from the article: "The advertising self-regulatory body said Bevel should avoid conveying the message that its users can get a shave that's as close or closer than that of a multi-blade razor."

It sounds like Gillette is doubling down on the idea that a multi-blade razor gives closer shaves and that theirs give the closest.

engrsaks likes this.
  4. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I've always felt Bevel borders on being a sham, for several reasons:

- While allegedly the "the first and only end-to-end shaving system specifically designed to help reduce razor bumps and irritation," all Bevel really is is a product line assembled of various products that have existed for decades, or in some cases centuries: DE razor and blades, shave brush, pre-shave oil, shaving cream, and aftershave balm. That's it. Aside from offering all of said products under a single brand, Bevel offers nothing that wasn't already available from other companies.

- The claim that the Bevel line is intended specifically for African American males really only means it is marketed toward that segment. There is nothing specific about the Bevel products that make them any better for African Americans than equivalent products from other brands. Even Bevel's founder Walker couldn't explain what separated his products from those of other brands when I asked him in another forum several years ago.

- The subscription terms are complex, and one must read the fine print (which takes some digging on the website) to fully understand the nature of the commitment one makes when subscribing. Products are priced differently depending on whether one is a subscriber or a one-time purchaser. This isn't so unusual, except that the difference in price between the two is substantial enough that the increase could be seen as a "penalty" for termination of a subscription.

- For a time, Walker had a hack dermatologist making unsubstantiated clinical claims on the website. That has evidently been removed, since I no longer see it on the website. I don't know if this removal is a result of Gillette's litigation, or some other reason, but I felt the claims bordered on the fraudulent. One could see the removal of such claims as a step forward for the brand, but I suspect it had more to do with avoiding legal headaches than in the interests of being straightforward with customers.

5. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Bevel is marketing their products to African Americans who have problems with ingrown hairs. It probably works but no better than any other DE razor soap combination. Having said that for the less informed a one stop shop is a great way to go. I've known a lot of guys over the years who have fought this problem, especially in the military when being clean shaven was a requirement. While I can't prove multiple blade razors cause razor bumps and ingrown hairs many of us here know that it's true. Otherwise we probably wouldn't even be here.

Carbide Mike and ob1page like this.
  6. engrsaks

Nice to see you back here, Mr. Nathan :) .

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  7. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I have shaved with SE, DE and multi-blade razors and have had irritation from all of them. It isn't the razor it's a lack of understanding how each razor is designed to work in addition to the foolishness of shaving ATG. If we cannot "prove" multi-blades cause this effect or that we shouldn't be making those statements. There are millions of multi-blade users out there, if those razors were as bad as I read on these forums those shavers would be switching in droves, they aren't.

Sabre and engrsaks like this.
  8. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Thanks. Good to see you too. I hope Canada is treating you well.

engrsaks likes this.
  9. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

However there is other reasons for this. The US army only allows the use of cartridge razors during basic training. So many black guys get shaving releases from the medical department to keep from having to shave often or at all because they cartridge razors suck so bad for them. All of us white guys want that shaving release as well, we hate those cartridges All Gillette mach 3 when I was in.

Carbide Mike likes this.