Gillette Goodwill # 162 some interesting facts.

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Red Rider, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

2. Red Rider

Comparing Gillette Goodwill #162 to Gillette pre-war Tech

Both Gillette "NEW" type both using blade stabilizers.
    One using blade guides on base and one using guide on top plate.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

brit, Robyflexx, RaZorBurn123 and 4 others like this.
  3. Red Rider

Both the Goodwill and the early Tech's provide great shaves with low blade chatter.
    Different blade exposures but both providing a effecient shave with low aggression.
    Tech using solid guard and the Goodwill with a open comb.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

brit, RaZorBurn123, Redfisher and 3 others like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you for some great info @Red Rider. I've been looking for a nice Goodwill for a while. Must keep looking

brit, RaZorBurn123 and Red Rider like this.
  5. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

image.jpeg These are my Goodwill razors. They shave well, you just have to watch the alignment when loading a blade. It took we awhile to find these, and that is the original gold plating.

Gillette Goodwill #164 1931 (slotted center hole) with original case and blade pack
    Gillette Goodwill #162 1934 (4 corner positioning posts)

HISTORY:
    From the Krumholtz guide:

"The major reason the Goodwill idea was promoted was to wean the public away from the old three-hole 'No Stropping, No Honing' blades in favour of the new long slot blades. The old style blades would not work in Goodwills, of course, nor would they work in the NEW GILLETTEs."

"There are two distinct styles of Goodwill razors, and it must be understood thatthe Goodwills were made up from parts - parts from Old Type razors and parts from NEW GILLETTEs. The only concession made for the Goodwill was the #160 cap, which was manufactured solely for the use of the Goodwill series.

The most common version of the Goodwill is the Standard Goodwill #160. The indented #160 cap was designed to accept the 'reverse studs' of all Goodwills made up from NEW GILLETTE parts. The #160 guard was a NEW GILLETTE guard that had not had the centre slot milled, but had two diamond reverse studs created in a punch press. By reverse studs, I mean that the studs went through or into the cap of the guard, rather than the studs being placed in the cap, and going through the guard."

"Another type of Goodwill made up from NEW GILLETTE parts was the Special Goodwill #175 which used a #160 cap. The guard was the same as found on the Standard Goodwill, except this razor had received the milling operation of the centre slot. The guard is different from that of normal NEW GILLETTES in that it has the protruding 'reverse studs' punched in. This razor was produced in extremely small quantities only in 1931.

The last version made from NEW GILLETTE parts was the Special Goodwill #170. This razor retained the #160 cap but featured two 'L' shaped studs punched into the guard. These took the place of the diamond-shaped reverse studs. This version was also produced in extremely small quantities only in 1931.

All other Goodwills were fabricated from surplus Old Type parts; two versions of these razors were produced. The first of these was the #162 Reverse Stud Goodwill. This razor features reverse studs in the diamond shape that were punched in the Old Type guard in the same manner as the standard Goodwill. The cap had the same diamond-shaped holes punched out which corresponded to the studs. Also, corner positioning posts were bent into the cap ends. This razor was produced only in 1934.

The #164 Reverse Stud Goodwill was made in a similar fashion. The difference is that the guard had a slotted centre hole and the cap had 'inside slot positioning posts' that corresponded to the guard's slot. This razor was only produced during 1931.

The tops of the caps of both the #162 and #164 Goodwills were embossed with a tasteful decoration that borders the punched out diamond holes."

cpool222, brit, dangermouse and 8 others like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Very nice razors!

7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Red and Obi thanks for all the goodwill about Goodwill's! The 162 or 164 are on my RAD list. Obi, those after some sweet razors.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    brit, RaZorBurn123, Redfisher and 2 others like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Thanks for the write-up. It's excellent information.

9. ObiDon

Thank you! These are very cool razors, no doubt, but the History about them, at this time in history, and the marketing, that Gillette still uses so well, is intriguing.

10. Red Rider

@ObiDon thanks for the pictures. Would you mind posting pictures of your Goodwill razors disassembled I'd like to get a good look at the differences in them. Thanks in advance. P.S. did you clean\shine these they're great. What did you use ?

brit, RaZorBurn123, ObiDon and 2 others like this.
  11. ObiDon

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Here are the pics you requested. I use a very small amount of Flitz as the gold plating on most Gillettes is very thin.

Gillette Goodwill #164 1931 (slotted center hole) with original case and blade pack
    Gillette Goodwill #162 1934 (4 corner positioning posts)

brit, Robyflexx, RaZorBurn123 and 3 others like this.
  12. Red Rider

Thanks, that helps with my evaluations of the Goodwills. You made a very good point regarding blade alignment. Once aligned it makes for a great shaving razor.

brit, RaZorBurn123 and ObiDon like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    One day, Rob. One day I will have a Goodwill, too. Very nice.

brit, Herm2502, ObiDon and 3 others like this.
  14. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Very good information on these, thanks to both of you for your efforts. I'm going to look for one in good shape for my collection. :happy088:

15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks for the great history lesson! Excellent!! I've been seeing a few Open Comb Tech's lately, are these mismatches? Or was there a OC Tech?

Red Rider and Robyflexx like this.
  16. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Apparently, there have been a number of OC Tech variants, right up until pretty much the end of the line. Some info from over on B&B: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/194878

Herm2502 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks, John! I may have to get an OC Tech? English or Canadian made.

Red Rider and Robyflexx like this.
  18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thanks for the interesting info.

Red Rider likes this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Fdizzle, seller on eBay usually has one...$$$$

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  20. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Here are shots of my 4 Goodwill razors. The one that I want now is the 162 Head. All of mine are made in Canada. The one on the left is based on the Old Type, while the other three have NEW type bases.
    [​IMG]

brit, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.