Gillette Guard Cartridge Razor

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by 5Savages, Mar 24, 2012.

1. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

The Gillette Guard is a cheap, disposable, single blade razor intended for DE users in third world countries. Though Gillette doesn't sell these in the US, you can easily buy the razor and the cartridges from West Coast Shaving, Italian Barber, and from Ebay. I bought 2 razors with 16 cartridges for $11.50 shipped from Ebay. Other quantities are available.

I bought these specifically for when I fly, as cartridge razors can be packed in our carry-on luggage, but DE blades cannot. This past week I was a chaperon at a YMCA camp for my son's 8th grade class, where we stayed in cabins. I decided to bring along the Guard to give it a field test.

During a period of free time before lunch, I decided to shower and shave. The first thing I noticed was that the plastic cover on the razor does not stay on very well. It seemed to be off every time I opened up my ditty bag. Next time I take this I'll probably wrap a rubber band around it to keep it on.

I was in a hurry when I was shaving, the water in the bathrooms at camp was cool, and I was using eShave Lime Verbena shaving cream for the first time. All these factors would tend to reduce the quality of my shave. A perfect test of the Guard.

My lather quality was not that great, due to the factors mentioned, but it was pretty slick. I just didn't have the time to work the lather. As it turns out, cushioning isn't very critical for the Guard, as I soon found out.

The Guard is very light, and I was not used to a pivoting head. Still, it was easy to get the feel for using it. At first I used very little pressure, but soon found out that with the Guard, I could use as much pressure as I wanted. In fact, I could easily buff after the first pass, with pressure, and not get ANY irritation. That was the most interesting aspect of this razor. It didn't really matter how much pressure I used, or how little lather I used (or how poor the quality of the lather was), it was an easy, smooth shave.

Perhaps the best testament to this razor was how it shaved my neck. My neck, just above my adams apple, is my most difficult area to shave. To get it BBS, without irritation is quite a trick. The Guard was able to take are of this with NO difficulty at all. It was best shave my neck has had.

I had took three passes with lots of buffing. End result was a BBS. Though it's a very mild razor, the ability to use pressure and buff away makes it very effective. It will remain my travel razor for flying and when I know I'll have less than ideal conditions, such as I had at camp. I can certainly see why this is selling well in places like India, as a minimal amount of water can be used, with marginal lather quality and you can get a great shave with no irritation. That said, using it is not as enjoyable as using my Merkur 38M.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I tested one about a year ago and it does the job well. If only they would make a heavy quality handle it would be much better.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Thank-you for the review. I've been thinking about what to buy for airplane trips when my now small supply of Mach3 blades runs out. I had been thinking of getting an Atra or Trac II handle as those cartridges can be found easily and cheaply still. I'll also have to think about these after such a positive report.

4. 5Savages

Yeah, that's one thing I didn't care for, or at least wasn't used to. The weight of the Guard is about 1/10th that of my 38M. I compensated with pressure.

5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

How long did it take you to get the razors and blades from India? That's a way better deal.

6. 5Savages

I don't recall for sure, but it was probably 3 or 4 weeks.

7. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Is there a way to reign this all in? Having made a firm resolution to not buy another thing for at least a month, (except for the Frank Shaving custom best badger overstuffed knot I have currently on order), I innocently happen upon this little thread - and before you know it, and without thinking, I have followed the eBay link and ordered this item from India... 2 razors and 16 blades! I don't travel all that much - this will hold me for years... Why, oh why? (must stay strong!) :angry032: (Hello, my name is Jerald, and I have a Shaving Related Acquisition Disorder... )

FacialCarnage likes this.
  8. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Hello Jerald and welcome to our group. We are here to encurage your passion.

9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Noting the problem you had with the Guard, might I suggest a different travel razor?

The Gillette Trac II or the Schick Super II are 2 bladed cartridge razors that are great travel razors. They don't have a pivoting heads so the technique is more similar to a DE. Gillette also made the 2 bladed Atra, but it's head does pivot. These razors can be found on eBay and sometimes can be found cheap.

There is also a cheaper work around. Get the Bump Fighter handle for under $4 and then buy the Trac II style heads. I buy the carts at 10 for $3. THe bump fighter setup is actually my GoTo razor for travel, when I don't take my DE.

10. 5Savages

I appreciate the suggestion, and that was one route I was going to try, but I actually like the Guard razor and I consider my search for a lightweight, TSA-approved travel razor over. I had poor prep (I just rinsed my face), my lather had almost no cushion due to my situation (it's NOT a reflection of eShave cream), I was rushing, and yet I had a kick-ass shave.

I had also intended on trying the Bic Metal. I still might at some point, but I'm in no hurry now.

11. 5Savages

Hey look at it this way...it may take a month to get to you so I don't think you've broken your resolution!

12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Don't mean to sound harsh 5Savages, but I keep hearing that this razor system somehow miraculously, requires less water and I'm finding this difficult to swallow. Wet shaving by it's nature is just that.. wet. Perhaps the razor might allow for lather to be a little thinner but your still gonna need enough water to make it all work..:bath:

13. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I just shopped at an Indian Market in Cary, North Carolina to see if I could buy the Guard there. The store owner told me his order from India was stopped by customs, but I think he will try to get them somehow.

14. 5Savages

That's not harsh at all. First, given their intended target market, I don't know that they are wet shavers as we know it. Second, having used it, I can easily see how you could use it without much water. I didn't have anything to soak my brush in, so I just ran it under the water for a little bit. Then I didn't rinse my face between passes. The water I used to rinse my brush was the most water I used.

Somewhere I saw a video of a guy using one with a spray bottle to spray his face, canned goo, and a glass of water to rinse the razor.

In this video, the guy (from their target market) seems to only use water, and not much of it:

But regardless, the amount of water you might need is probably not a deciding factor unless you frequently travel to 3rd world countries. It certainly didn't factor into my decision to go with this system. I now in DE circles there's a proclivity to look down at P&G, but they did their homework with this one, and hit it out of the park.

15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

From what I saw the guy in the vid was just about dry shaving!..:shocked003:didn't look none too thrilled about the experience either.. kept shaking his head. I'd shake my head too. Got lots of doubts on this one bro. Gaurds probably a decent shave but you need a miracle under those conditions and that razor just ain't no miracle IMO. If you ask me it's probably not much different from the Bic sensitive or even the standard pivoting two blades...

16. 5Savages

Again I say it, the amount of water one is able to use is not the point of my review. My point is the Guard gives a great shave with no irritation for me and I have no hesitation recommending it as an alternative for travel, camp, whatever. If you are looking for something to use that doesn't require much water, as it appears you may be, I can't imagine anything else working much better.

17. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I've tried both the Bic Metal and the Bic Sensitive. I actually prefer the Sensitive; it is less aggressive.
    It's odd though. I use my Fatboy on 5, which has the same blade gap as the Bic Metal, but prefer the Sensitive which is equivalent to a 3 on the Fatboy.

18. senex

senex Member

The water saving i find with the guard is with the ease of cleaning the hair and foam between passes.
    I usually need a fast water stream to remove the lather I like but use a cup for the Guard.
    Just wish for a better handle.

19. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I will being flying to visit my grandparents later this month and then again in april/may to visit my gf at her internship. I needed to find something I could carry on, was cheap, still get a decent shave with. I ordered one of these for like 5 bucks from italianbarber. Will try it out once when it comes in and let you know how it goes. Don't expect it to be the ultimate shaver, I'm just looking to get a decent shave and not a have to worry about losing it or breaking it etc. Don't have any other razors I'd risk traveling with at the moment.

20. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

JRod-the Lord L6 makes a great travel razor, and only costs $12-15 online...