Gillette Guard's. Has any one tried them yet?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Brian, Jul 4, 2011.

?

Do you think the Guard should be sold here in the states, if so, would you buy it?

1. Yes, we should have the option to buy it.

33.3%
  2. No, I'd rather pay threw the nose for their other carts.

2.2%
  3. I'd like to try it.

22.2%
  4. No thanks, only DE for me.

53.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Brian

Brian Active Member

I know we had a thread on this a while back, but I never seen any more on it. Has anyone tried the Gillette Guards yet? If so, how did you like them?

I just ordered a couple off of the bay, 2 razors and 4 extra carts. When they come in, I'll post just how I like them. I figure to take them with me when I travel, something I wouldn't be too concerned over if they were lost or if the TSA decided they were too much of a risk and confiscated.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

West Coast Shaving now carries them. $2.50 for a razor with one cart., and .50 cents a piece for the refills. Minimum order of 5 refill carts.

3. MÜHLE-Man

MÜHLE-Man Member

Italian Barber in Ontario also carries them.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I will pass; I do not wish to give Gillette any more ammo to further withdraw DE stuff from the market.

6. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I have a Guard and some cartridges that i use sometimes.
    It's a step up from the Bic disposable razor but not much, the only "user friendly" fonction on it is that it have a pivoting head while the Bic don't.
    Also it's and open comb razor , with huge combs on it, so if you have a 3-4 days of growth it will take care of it easily.
    I prefer the Guard a little more than the Bic disposable but the fact that it's not available here and that we have to rely on Ebay and pay for shipping makes me prefer the Bic.

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

:sihns011

8. DaveNJ74

DaveNJ74 Member

I feel the same way. I thought the Fusion was the best there was out there according to them and the ranting and raving on tv. Now this one is a " new breakthrough ".
    I am getting the best shaves of my shaving life with a EJ DE and an Astra blade.

9. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I don't think I would buy one... If I was Pifed it i would give it a try. i want to try this as i sometimes still use Gillette disposables. This might be a better alternative to them.

they just reinvented the wheel on this one. But this wheel might be better than all the other wheels they made? :happy102

10. JAWilliams

JAWilliams Member

I have one and use it when I travel. I was shocked I got a great shave from it. Yes I would like to see it sold here but not at the risk of loosing my DE.

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

12. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I would probably use them for travel. How does it compare with other disposables and cart razors?

I really want to try one. Any Canadian suppliers have them?

13. Brian

Brian Active Member

MUHLE-Man said the Italian Barber in Ontario also carries them.

14. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

16. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

I used the Gillette Guard for about 20 shaves about six months ago. Didn't escape blood free too often, probably from applying too much pressure to compensate for the super light weight handle.

If the Guard were given a handle that had some mass too it (rather than weighing about the same as a disposable Bic) it would be a very very good cartridge razor.

Overall though, I vastly prefer my Trac II.

17. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I guess I will not try the guard either then, since I left the Trac II to shave with straight razors

18. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Hate to just join the crowd and post nothing new; however, if numbers matter... than throw me in that lot!

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'd like to try it but I don't see Gillette ever selling it here. I don't think DE would be much affected by it; as others have pointed out, if anything selling it here would undercut Gillette's already lucrative overpriced cart sales far more than it'd dent the DE niche market. But I could be wrong.

20. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

The thing about it cutting into the expensive carts... I think it would be more cutting into their disposable market... I view it as a disposable even though it is a cart razor. There might be others who view it the same as me. I am all for trying it. But not sure if I will ever pay for one.