Gillette Heated Razor

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by COMPNOR, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Draftetdan

Draftetdan Active Member

I'm wondering if the majority of these will be sold at Christmas. That, nobody would purchase one for themselves but, somebody who doesn't know what to get for Dad.... Another nice gift sequestered to the sock drawer. Gillette will think that they built the perfect product and that everybody wants one. But, in the end, nobody will be using them.

wchnu likes this.
  2. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Its an interesting idea. Most people pretty much do the same thing, barbers included, with a hot towel, keeping their lather warm in a scuttle or using one of those hot lather machines. Its just a different idea by heating the beard and skin right before it is shaved with a heating bar.
    At $150, Id be waiting to see if it actually works and I see a lot of ways in which it could not work, not to mention theres much cheaper ways of achieving the same thing.

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I don't know of anyone in real life, other than barbers, who used a hot lather machine. It has been decades since l saw one advertised. Most members of the general public don't even know what a Moss scuttle is, much less own one. The great majority of men shave with a cartridge and canned gel or foam, although it appears there is a move to better quality creams and soaps.

It is not the idea of heating the beard, but the implementation. Gillette's implementation is patented, and so will act as a product differentiator between them and the competition. Sure, the competition might be able to come up with something similar, but that forces them to spend money, time and effort to do so.

For cartridge razors, there isn't a cheaper way to do the same thing. Unlike safety razors, with their metal heads, cartridges don't retain nearly as much heat after being immersed in hot water. I think the heated razor head is more about adding comforting warmth rather than increasing shaving efficacy.

$150 is a bit steep, but so are stainless safety razors, often sell for the same or more.

4. Badgerstate

Agree. Most men view shaving as something they have to do, not as something they enjoy or a luxury experience. I'll admit, when I first decided to grow a beard, that was my main motivation.

Shaver X and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

may help to cauterize weepers...fun aside, something may be discovered while researching new technology..

6. Badgerstate

I dont think it will, as the heating element is before the blade. Its kind of like the lubricating strip that is after the blades.

brit likes this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

The more time advances the less I understand how people come up with these ideas for shaving. Anyone want to find a time machine and go back into the last where it seems common sense may have been more common?