-Gillette Mach 3 VS Gillette Mach 3 Turbo VS Gillette Sensor Exel -

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by idan, Nov 21, 2017.

?

Gillette Mach 3 VS Gillette Mach 3 Turbo VS Gillette Sensor Exel

1. Gillette Mach 3

2. Gillette Mach 3 Turbo

3. Gillette Sensor Exel

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. idan

idan Active Member

What are the differences between them? And what shaves faster and closer?
    I have a very heavy + dense beard
    Thank you very much...

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I never used them, so I can't advise you really. But I believe many people feel that the Mach3 was the best cartridge razor that Gillette produced. I also think Mach3 cartridges may be more readily available?

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’ve used all three and found the Gillette sensor to be the best of the bunch. I don’t use them anymore. The cost of the blades is what pushed me to DE shaving.

4. idan

idan Active Member

Why the Gillette Sensor was the best? The shaves was more closer? Or just more smoothness/comfort? Tnx..

5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

As an alternative; I use a Gillette G2 (Trac II in the USA). Cartridges for the G2 are inexpensive (e.g. "Made in Israel" twin blade cartridges), and the G2 / Trac II gives me a very close and comfortable shave.

I cannot compare to newer cartridge systems, since I never used them. But I am very happy with the performance of the Trac II razor and cartridges (I do not like the Dorco cartridges though).

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

6. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Mach 3 is the most economical, most available and shaves comfortably close. I tried Sensor and had a lot of irritation from it. Anything that says "Turbo" is to me just an excuse to hike the price, except in cars.

EnglishChannel and Eeyore like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I found that I had gotten closer and smoother shaves with it.

8. DE Cartman

DE Cartman Well-Known Member

I voted M3 Turbo but there's not a nickels worth of difference between the two .

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Now if the fusion were on the list, I would pick that one as the best of the bunch. However, those cart prices are through the roof.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  10. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Amongst those options, I would pick the standard Mach3.

I didn't switch to the Sensor as I went from the Atra to the Mach3.
    I have since acquired and used a Sensor, and don't like it as much as the others.

My favorite cartridge razor is still the Atra, but the TracII is right there.

Jim99 likes this.
  11. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Totally agree... best cartridge I ever used. Just waaaaaayyy too expensive

EnglishChannel and Jim99 like this.
  12. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

To me the shave is more comfortable, and smoother.

Clayton

13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have just shaved with a fresh Mach3. I have a close smooth shave. However, I can probably just get a close shave with either a Quattro Titanium, EasyFit 3 (Hydro 3 Mk1), or the current Hydro 3.

14. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I shaved with a Mach 3 most of my life before switching to DE. Since going DE I have revisited several carts. I found out that what I blamed on the carts all those years was really just my technique. I just picked up some Mach 3 Turbo gift sets left over after Christmas . They are a excellent shave.

Sabre likes this.
  15. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I've dumped Gillette for Dorco, same shave at a third the price.

16. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

For less than 20$ I have ordered a Gillette Vector (Atra) and 100 Personna twin plus blades to try out. I haven't got the order yet but I have been trying Gillette Guards from India. They are a great single blade cart.

COMPNOR likes this.
  17. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Mach3. I don't find the Turbo to be an improvement, regardless of cost; once cost is factored in, it's a no-go. (Plus, the black Mach3 cart matches my Art of Shaving handle, but that's a different matter.) The Sensor Excel is also good, but in head-to-head matchups, I found the M3 to be more efficient and comfortable. In some ways, it's counterintuitive. The more blades, the higher the drag. The lowest-drag Gillette cart I've tried (and I've tried them all, except for the latest, super-lubed Fusion iteration) is the Atra Plus. However, despite the lower drag, the Atra didn't feel as comfortable as the M3; I could feel the blades more, and it caused more irritation. It also wasn't as efficient - meaning it didn't get as much growth per stroke. (Yes, I'm still talking about shaving.) There may actually be something to Gillette's theory of more blades better distributing force over a wider plane. For me, that went past the point of diminishing returns with the Fusion; imo, Gillette should have quit while they were ahead. Seems they might recognize that, too, since they still market the M3 heavily, and haven't yet introduced a Fusion successor, 12 years after its introduction.

FYI, Target has been offering good prices (by Gillette standards) on 10-packs of M3 carts. When I first saw the price, I thought it was either a mistake or a promotion, but that was the better part of a year ago, or possibly longer; the last time I was there a few weeks ago, the prices had not changed.

18. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

I was just at Target last night, and discovered the 15-packs of M3 carts have come down in price. They are now a better deal than the 10-packs. For the first time I can remember since the model was introduced, M3 carts can be had from a retailer (as opposed to a grey seller) for less than $2 a unit. I know DE and generic users might scoff, but for those of us who like the brand and the model, this is a good deal. It also makes me think DSC and Harry's is having an impact.

19. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Welcome back, I thought you were dead ;). The Mach 3 has allegedly been improved, this must all be due to the patent running out and the original Hydro 3 having an adapter that fits the Mach 3 handle. There is also a new handle, but it's about as impressive as the new Sensor/Blue 3 handle.

[​IMG]

Jerry-built Hustler likes this.
  20. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

They are very expensive here in the UK.