Gillette New Best Ever?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jim99, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Okay, I've been shaving with the Gillette New long comb all week and all I can say is "wow"! I've been using Personna blue labs in it and the shaves have been amazing. It does not feel aggressive at all and it takes one pass wtg and one xtg for a bbs shave. I have not cut myself and only suffered a couple of nicks on the chin that were nothing. I think I've heard it on this forum that Gillette got it right with this razor and, for me, that statement is true.

So here's what I'm thinking... Maybe an aggressive razor suits my face. I have my Slim set on 4. Is it time to experiment with the 5 and 6 settings? Or is the New just that good?

gorgo2 likes this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The New is a great one. As far as the Slim goes, give it a try and see if you like the shaves better. If you don't, you can always turn it back down.

Tdmsu and Jim99 like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011:
    To answer your original question, in my opinion no. If I'm going vintage Gillette, gimme a Fatboy.

Jim99 likes this.
  4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

IMHO, the New SC and LC are the pinnacle of 3 piece razor design. I find mine to be very efficient, yet almost as mild as a Tech. I much prefer my New razors over any TTO that I've tried which includes a Fatboy or a Slim.

gorgo2 and Jim99 like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I love the NEWs, lc and sc. I have both 195 and the Slim. I like them too, but if pushed, I would favor the NEWs more. My NEW sc is the only razor I have had replated. I don't need much of an excuse to post this picture.
    new_plated0a.jpg

jay_gatz, Ron R, BigMark83 and 7 others like this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I understand your love for the "NEW", I use the LC. If you'd like to try adjusting it a bit, you may want to consider changing handles. I run a greistshaving "FAT" brass handle on mine. The handle weighs in at 111 grams is 3" long and 5/8" diameter. Besides the extra weight, I really like the more aggressive knurling over the stock bar handle. :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    mrchick, Jim99 and clint64 like this.
  7. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I might have to dig out my new again. I was suprised how light the handle is, I imagined it to be heavier. I think I need to give it some extensive use to really see how it performs.
    One thing I love is the design it's a great looking razor.

8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That's an interesting suggestion about the handle. I've looked at handles similar online just out of curiosity, but was not sure what it might do to the shave.

One of the things that I have found with the New (original ball end handle on mine) is that the weight, balance and handle length and width just feels right to me. All of that, along with the head design, is what makes it a great razor for me.

I'm going to crank up the Slim a notch or two to see if I can get similar results.

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I never get tired of looking at that razor. It's a beauty.

178-bplatoon and Jayaruh like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    A different handle can make a difference in the feel of the NEW.

My LC NEW with brass punch handle.[​IMG]

SC NEW with EJ89 handle
    [​IMG]

LC NEW with Utopia handle
    lcnew_utopia3.jpg

Ron R, brit and Tdmsu like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    I really like the looks of your LC NEW with the ball end handle. My LC is made in England and came with a Milady decollete handle. I bought an Old Type with a ball end handle to use with it.
    [​IMG] lcnew_ballends.jpg

brit, Tdmsu and Troy M like this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My recently acquired NEW LC certainly is not a mild razor. In fact, it's about the upper limit of what I find comfortable in terms of aggression.

Compared to that NEW, my Fatip Grande is a docile lamb ;)

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

My New LC is a fantastic shaver, a nice balance of aggression and smoothness. I'm using my slim on 7 now and that is still pretty mild.

brit and Robyflexx like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

yep ..best ever..
    20220202_132630_edited.jpg

gorgo2, Jim99, kfbrady and 2 others like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

kfbrady and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

;):eatdrink047:

17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I have 2 Gillette New long-combs Canadian variants and find them mid range and very efficient. About the only negative would be blade tab overhang but that was a normal feature for Gillette razors. Good over all razor and like mine with the ball end handle seems to work well for myself.

Jim99 and brit like this.
  18. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Oh I love ‘‘em both.

brit likes this.
  19. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

I agree. The new is aggressive. Light touch required. Still a great shaver. Solid guard bars were a huge leap in comfort for me. I just bought a No 88 open comb, so what do I know…

brit and Jim99 like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Some years back I traded my replated LC New for ... I don't remember now. I don't really miss it since I have a Senator but the New is indeed one of the best ever.

brit likes this.