gillette new criterion

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Feb 18, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

hello fello shavers,was just curious about this razor. it has a serial #23423d. i think this makes it a 1930 model.is it rare,scarce,?
    i have used it once and it felt efficient like my new sc. not a daily driver for me yet but i would love to know more history if anyone has some info.thank you ,gary 20180218_183537.jpg

2. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Looks like a NEW DeLuxe Comb, which are good shavers. I think they fit in between the LC & SC. Is this one the 17mm? I would really like to try a 15mm to compare the 2 comb sizes. Can you post a picture of the bottom of the base?

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It's pretty much the same as a Bostonian, New Standard, Richwood and even an Aristocrat from the 1920's. Just depended on how it was packaged. It's a great shaver, and as @Rev579 mentioned, it's teeth are between a LC and SC. My Bostonian is my favorite open comb, nice weight and balance.
    http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/New Improved/New Improved.htm

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

mr razor calls this a new deluxe criterion from 1930 as it has a serial #. here is the bottom of the base 20180218_194705.jpg

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I think Gillette shifted gears and released the Belmont in Silver and Criterion in Gold as a model or configuration for the NEW razors. In any case, tell us how you like it after your first couple of shaves.

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

i will thank you.

7. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

Bostonian, New Standard, Richwood ... are New Improved razors from the 20s. The Criterion is a NEW DeLuxe from the 30s. He comes Gold- and Chromium plated in a leather box like the NI New Standard. The same razor in a metal box was called Belmont

PLANofMAN, tonich, brit and 1 other person like this.
  8. jimjo1031

Thanks, I see the base is slightly different compared to my Bostonian.

brit likes this.
  9. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

looks like the Bostonian, but one thing I have noticed almost all Gillette OC shave similar and they are aggressive, except for the British Aristocrat #15 that I have in safety bar is super aggressive, it puts the red tip and the adjustables on #9 to shame... I have the #15 Open Comb on its way to me to wrap up the collection and I have the feeling that one might be even more aggressive than the Safety Bar

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir..

11. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

The Belmont came in Silver version (England)
    [​IMG]

and Gold version (USA) .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  12. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Here is one of my Criterion sets:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  13. brit

brit in a box

very nice Andon..i love my belmont version..

14. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Hey, I added more photos.
    What is razor thread without photos, eh? :)

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

that's the same as the one i had for a short while.very nice..,pardon me that's a round groove,awesome..

tonich likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

would love a round groove in silver..

tonich likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

Nice..........

tonich and brit like this.