Gillette NEW from Ebay

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by andyr, Jan 4, 2012.

1. andyr

andyr Member

The open comb does feel different.
    I can get an excellent shave if I don't apply too much pressure, and try not to leave marks where the comb moves over. I have to get used to the three-piece assembly, this is my first one.
    I bought this for $12, shipping included. This was Christmas morning, and no one else bid on it.

000_0119.jpg 000_0118.jpg

IAmTheJody Mod edit: The images were so huge, they were causing lag. I put them to thumbnail size and if people want to view the huge images, they can click on the thumbnail if they choose.

fishcrow, alpla444 and IAmTheJody like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Those old OCs coupled with modern blades provide excellent shaves.
    Enjoy!

alpla444 likes this.
  3. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

The NEW head with any handle is a great shaver, and a good price too - congrats!

CyanideMetal and frankflood like this.
  4. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

another wonderful christmas gift. i really like the new heads as well

5. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

My main razor currently... aggressive, however great shave if you respect it and take your time.

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Congrats, I hope it gives you many a great shaves! :happy088:

7. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Very nice, hope you get lots of great shaves from it:)

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088: Enjoy it in good health!

9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

:happy096:I have an old style comb also, it gives me remarkable shaves.

10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I love my NEW as well. Best of luck!

11. andyr

andyr Member

Thanks for doing that. I now found the Image Resizer in XP PowerToys; I will use that next time.

12. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I find the old Gillettes to be great fun to look for and to use. After this one you may want to move back to the ww1 and pre ww1 '04's. (The ones without the ball ended handles.) There's sometime interesting in using a 100 Yr old razor. Just thinking about it's history...

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. andyr

andyr Member

I read often that the OLD and even NEW Improved did not shave well with modern blades. Did you get a good shave from one of those type of razors?

14. swarden43

Don't believe everything you read. I get some pretty darn good shaves using modern blades in both my OLD and NEW types. Your face will not lie to you. You gotta try it out for yourself.

15. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

The older blades were a lot thicker than modern ones. In some of the older razors you cannot tighten them enough to work well with the modern blades without using some form of shim - I think that this is what you are referring to. An overblown problem in my experience, most can be tightened properly!

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. swarden43

Good insight, Mark. Thanks.

Mark1966 likes this.
  17. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

The old style razors can be more aggressive with a modern blade. I like them that way. My go to razor is a NEW head paired with a long and heavy handle from a Sabi razor. It's on the aggressive side but not too much. Happy shaving! Hope you enjoy your new acquisition!

CyanideMetal and GDCarrington like this.
  18. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I've been lucky and have not run into the thickness of the new blades being a insolvable problem. This week I had a new to me '04 style. No serial number. That the first pass felt like I was pulling each hair out by the roots. Stopped change to another blade, different manufacturer, and had no problems. Great shave 2ish passes.
    Like any razor, some like a certain blade others don't. Most times there really isn't a problem. I have a number of the '02's(British) '04's(US)and '05's(Canadian)really enjoy using them.