Gillette Old and New types

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by djwurm, Feb 28, 2009.

1. djwurm

djwurm New Member

Just a general question since I am thinking about picking up a new and old type.

What is the general amount one should expect to pay for each of these Gillettes? I am not really looking for cased specimens but more of ones I can use and are in decent shape for displaying.

2. djwurm

djwurm New Member

anyone?

3. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Old you should be able to find for 10 dollars shipped or less,Look out for cracks in the handles small ones are ok, handles with bigger cracks you may want to avoid, but I think a tech handle will fit any of these 3 piece razors.

the new go for 15-20 shipped.
    these are rough guesstimates from what I have seen them posted and selling for.

Old<new improved<new
    this is a generalization of how aggressive each of the razors are to one another.

4. djwurm

djwurm New Member

thanks

was looking at a few on ebay, and thought buy it now for 40 dollars was way to much..

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yes that is way too much. Keep an eye out, I have picked up a lot with multiple of each for $25. Antique stores often have these if nothing else on their shelves.

6. djwurm

djwurm New Member

i cant seem to find an antique store in Dallas that has shaving stuff..

Most of the antique stores around here deal in furniture and paintings and are only open by appointment

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is good advise. I got a very nice 29 model in a buy that included another razor with box. gave 14 for all of it. so I figure i got it for about $5. They usually look rough till you get them cleaned up.. be very carefull of long cracks. not wort the headache, small cracks are normal.

Fuzzy

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

But... if you can find one with a badly cracked handle, you can always use a tech handle on it until you get something better.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

True.. and cooncat can make some beautiful ones :D

Fuzzy

10. djwurm

djwurm New Member

11. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Nope but that's a good deal for a red/black.

12. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

nice red/black but the head is assembled wrong... again.

Ugh.

13. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

:rofl I didn't even notice.

14. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

He sure does make some fine things!

15. pablo_h

pablo_h New Member

I've bought a few olds, news and new improved for as little as 3 for $5, or $10 for a single good one with small cracks but the plating still good.

16. ctakim

ctakim Member

To the OP, did you mean new or new improved? The new improved is older than the new.