Gillette Old Type and some other goodies

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by JBSharp, Jan 29, 2014.

1. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share what I came home with this weekend, after going through some of my grandparents' things. My Granny used to sell Avon; I didn't find any of the cool decanters they used to have but I did find some unexpected prizes.
    haul.jpg
    The ship's wheel Old Spice decanter was new to me, but I fondly remember the Skin Bracer hand. That vinyl shaving bag is in great shape, and it held a pretty nice Atra, in its case. I'll hang on to that as a cartridge stand-by. The ceramic bowl may have been made by my uncle, who was actually a foster child taken in and raised by my grandparents.

Of course, I was especially excited about the brush and razor.
    brushandrazor.jpg
    The brush was in Granddaddy's medicine cabinet. The only marking is "Rubberset" on the collar; nothing on the base of the handle. There's no "sterilized," so I presume it to be 1921 or earlier. I'd like to restore it but don't trust myself with it, so I may reach out to get it done.
    brush.jpg
    The razor continues what is a great run for me. I've inherited a '58 Fat Boy, '65 ball-end Tech, and '66 Super Speed from my and my wife's grandparents and great-grandparents. This Old Type was in a vanity drawer in my Granny's bedroom, so we think it may have been her father's.
    razorhead.jpg serialno.jpg handlecrack1.jpg handlecrack2.jpg
    There is no plating to speak of. The serial number is P444445, which dates it to 1921. There is a 17mm crack in the butt and a 9mm crack in the head of the handle. It may be best left as a display piece, but I'd like to repair the handle for use. I've read of silver solder for the cracks, and of epoxying the ball into the tube. I need to hear whatever wisdom you guys might have.

Oh, a P.S. I also found out that my dad used what is apparently a Slim Adjustable when he was in the army in the mid-60's. Hopefully we can locate that sucker.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    GDCarrington, Tdmsu, BigT and 3 others like this.
  2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Looks Good, you got a treasure trove there. :shaver

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool. I'm glad you have that connection with your past.

4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Is that a pour cap on that middle finger?? I don't know what to say.

Great haul. Sounds like you're touched.

Jayaruh likes this.
  5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I love these sorts of finds. Nothing beats stuff getting handed down through generations.

Jayaruh likes this.
  6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    And you found a $20 bill. :happy088:

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Wow, very nice. quite a nice pull. Im sure it means even more coming from family.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

A most excellent score! :happy036:

Beat me to it. :p

Queen of Blades likes this.
  9. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

I admit, I wanted to make the money clip look as nice as possible and that's the best I could do. I did find the clip, though.

Queen of Blades and swarden43 like this.