Gillette Pure-Can we Talk?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Tedolph, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Does Gillette Pure Make a Mess?

1. What Mess?

100.0%
  2. Can't get it out of the sink with a scrub brush!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I am a soap/croap straight razor boar bristle kind of guy. But if I am in a hurry, an SE razor with a cream whipped up in a lather bowl with a synthetic brush works for me. Gillette Pure has its place in that context, especially on a warm day where its light menthol effect is appreciated. Performance is sort of OK, scent is nice and the price is right. It is easy to find in my local CVS.

But here is the problem: it leaves a residue mess everywhere. A thin haze in the sink, on the razor and in the lather bowl that doesn't rinse off easily. I must assume that it is leaving the same residue on my face too.

Any of you notice this?

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Every time I use Porazo red soap. Aerosol foaming bathroom Scrubbing Bubbles will get it off the counter, sink, and razor. Shampoo will get it off your brush and brush handle. Toothpicks and a toothbrush for the lines in the handle.

That's the quickest easiest way to get rid of it.

I never have used Pure often enough to notice a residue, unlike Porazo, where the soap scum residue is noticeable immediately, but is good enough to warrant continued use.

Wiping the razor down with a towel immediately after using it is usually enough to keep the scum at bay, but won't stop it, especially on Gillette TTO razors, with all their hard to reach nooks and crannies. That's where Scrubbing Bubbles works it's magic.

Porazo Sandalwood (red) soap is an inexpensive top performer. I usually have some on hand for occasional use. It's one of the few sandalwood scented shave soaps to list real sandalwood oil in the ingredients, which is a real selling point, though the quantity used must be minute, given the cost of real sandalwood oil, and the price of the soap.

brit likes this.
  3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I have used it often and do not have that situation. Not sure what's going on

Ijustmissedthe50s, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  4. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Never heard of it, but will second that Proraso leaves quite a bit of soap scum behind...

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i have and enjoy both pure and proraso.haven't seen much residue from either,but i tend to change and clean razors frequently.no faults with brushes either.i rinse both thoroughly with hot water after use.if i stuck to one set up for a few days it could be more evident.;)

Ijustmissedthe50s and PLANofMAN like this.
  6. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I found Pure to be neither better or worse for clean-up. Unimpressive, but cleaned up OK.

Ijustmissedthe50s and PLANofMAN like this.