Gillette Razor ID Help Please

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Island Brian, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

I do not know what this is. There are no markings except the Gillette logo on the handle as seen in the close up. I also found it interesting that the twist knob does not completely come out of the handle (see picture) and that the logo on the blades matches the box (although that is no guarantee that the box is what the razor originally came in). In any event, it is a handsome razor and a very aggressive shave. I would appreciate it if anyone can give me some information (model name, approximate year, common or rare, etc.). Sorry about the picture quality, but that's about as good as I can get on my point and shooter.

THANKS!

Attached Files:

2. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Now that is one Gillette razor I have never seen anywhere. Maybe some of our PhDs in Razorology can help us out. Very nice razor though. How about the blades? Does the box say whether they are made of stainless steel?

3. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

The head doesn't look like a gilltte and it doesn't look like it even fits flush on the handle. I expect that it is a "frankenrazor"

4. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

Nope. Just says "Rostfri Facette" (which makes me think they probably are stainless steel) and "Made in Sweden".

Attached Files:

5. tom myers

tom myers Member

I have a hard time believing that the razor has a Gillette head. I support Scotty's idea that it is a mongrel that someone put together from parts from at least two different razors.

There was a Matador razor from Sweden that used the trademark that is on that blade box. I can find pictures of three different models of Matadors and actually the head on this razor doesn't really look like any of them either. The Matadors I've seen pictures of have the name "Matador" stamped on the underside of the head.

If I had to wager on this, I would say that the box is from one razor and the razor itself is made up of two different razors that doesn't include the one that was originally in the box.

Regards,
    Tom

6. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

The bottom of the head is attached to the handle (like a 3 piece) and the handle is attached to the bottom twist knob (unlike a 3 piece - you loosen the knob and it slides part way out of the bottom of the handle). Because the handle is labled Gillette, it would seem that all of those components are Gillette. The top part of the head could be unrelated.

HHHmmmmm. . .

7. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Is there any other markings whatsoever on the razor? Look close all over.

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Merkur "two pieces" are attached to the handle also, but they can are truly three piece razors with a retention slot.

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Matador still makes razors.

[​IMG]

10. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

I saw no other markings. However, I will re-inspect this evening (I'm still at work) with a magnifier, just to be sure. Also, the top part of the head has these little tabs that I forgot to photograph. I'll post those too.

THANKS!

11. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

12. tom myers

tom myers Member

Once again, Achim comes up with the answer to another "puzzle".

I had been aware of the Rotbart/Gillette razor for some time but hadn't seen one or a picture of one before. It never occured to me that the razor in question was a Rotbart/Gillette.

Gillette bought controlling interest in Germany's Otto Roth Co. in 1927. Rotbart was one of Otto Roth's brands. This razor would have been made in Germany and sold under the Gillette name.

I guess I would have lost my wager about the razor being a mongrel . . . well, on the other hand, I could contend that it was, indeed, a mongrel, but the half breed was created by Rotbart and Gillette. :D

Regards,
    Tom

13. Island Brian

Island Brian Member

I am so very grateful to all who responded and for the fantastic information about my razor. As with all my razors, I tend to just buy what I like and I shave with each one. But the more I know, the more I enjoy the experience!

Thanks!

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You guys are incredible......

Achim that information is wonderful...

Fuzzy