Gillette razors to collect

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Swampfox, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    When I started collecting in 2012, a nice user Fatboy without a case was $75, and a nos example in a case was 125+.
    Currently those numbers are more like $50 and $75, and if there are instructions $100+.
    Also, at that time I thought people were nuts dropping $200 on toggles that are going 3-500 now.
    I think it's cyclical... newbies come in, hit the boards, and discover all the things they want. Then the market pops, by the time I realize it and put things up on ebay it bottoms out lol.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

When everyone was COVID rich they were bidding up razor prices too. Seems some of the more outlandish stuff is dropping back to pre COVID levels.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The thing with Toggles is they really aren't as rare as people would make them out to be which is partly what drives the price on them.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One particular subset of Gillettes that are collectable are the WWII military issue Tech sets or WWI era Old Type military issue sets. Plenty of military collectors go for those sets besides the usual razor collectors.

5. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Hmmmmm...I don't know I entirely agree with that. It's rare that an actual collector will let one go. I think there are more people that want them than are toggles available. There's always a $1,000 toggle on ebay if you want one bad enough though lol!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think you might be right. Iridium prices on a certain country's blades in a few years. Maybe more than one country if everything goes to hell.

With chip shortages being what they are, it's strange to think that we (most of us, anyways) are probably holding and driving the pinnacle of human technology. Lack of chips means less comforts in the car, no rear seat heating control, to list an actual example.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    gorgo2 and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

time to bring out the old ford truck..:):eatdrink047:

gorgo2 likes this.