Gillette Rocket flare tip

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Z-2, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Z-2

Z-2 Well-Known Member

This morning I`ve used my Gillette Rocket. I got it along with 2 other razors for £15 from ebay, and was curious how it will goes.

When the razors arrived, I cleaned them carefully. I realized, that Rocket has little problem - losing the handle from base plate. It`s easy to re-crimp with screwdriver so, after that everything looks OK.

I was in hurry today, and used canned goo. Some people hate it, but it works fine for me. Compared to 50s Super Speed, I think this Rocket shaves almost the same - mild. I am little disappointed, because my beard is tough and prefer more agressive razors. Even my Slim Adjustable on set 4 works better. As blade I used new Dorco Titan.

[​IMG]

What is your opinion? Similar like mine, or maybe some blades can improve the shave?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    178-bplatoon and brit like this.
  2. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

I love my FT Rocket. I have had a Flaretip Rocket for several years. Try a Feather or a similar sharp blade. Check you angle, if I remember it is a little different fo me than my other Gillette’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Z-2 and brit like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I use Polsilver or GSB in mine an receive a great shave.

Z-2, brit and Sevenbark like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i have a 50s and 60s flare tip rockets as well as earlier ones.the 60s ones have a smaller head like the black handle ss .i use gsb ,nacets, voskhods .the 60s ones are my most used.
    sharp blades work well for me in these razors as well as other gillettes.

Z-2 and Enrico like this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Ride the cap, and it should do fine. I have two of them, and they shave just about like any other SS. A good angle, and they provide a nice, smooth shave.

Z-2, Enrico, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I recently picked up a FT Rocket and you're right, it's fairly mild. But I agree that a sharp blade solves that problem. I used an Astra SP for a great shave.

Herm

Z-2 and brit like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Technically I have two FT Rockets, but one is quit literally in critical condition. If it was a standard flare I'd drop it in the dust bin, but I have plans to preform a transplant in the future.

Z-2 and brit like this.
  8. Z-2

Z-2 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I will try out some sharper blade - thinking for Polsilver or Sputnik ;)

brit likes this.