Gillette rocket gold

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mfitz77, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mfitz77

mfitz77 New Member

So..I bought what I am sure is a gold Rocket (stamped made in england) for$2cad today. The mechanics work perfectly but...I would say the plating loss is near 90%. Should I try to rove the remaining plating(inside and under the head, and in the knurling) or leave well enough alone?

2. mld202

mld202 Member

Are you going get it replated

3. mfitz77

mfitz77 New Member

M
    Maybe but I can't afford it for a while

4. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

:pics: If it's a good working razor use it why spend the money on plating when you could save that money and buy more razors:signs136:

Tdmsu likes this.
  5. mld202

mld202 Member

I'd start with a little clean up (awesome instructions can be found on the site, but basically soft toothbrush dish soap and elbow grease. See if you like that. Or is that how you got the finish off begin with

Be careful not to scratch it anywhere visible, most plating processes only add a few thoudandths of inch and good chance a scratch will be in the neighborhood of a few hundred

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'd just clean it up and use it as is. Trying to remove any plating would probably just result in lots of scratches.

7. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

Clean that bad boy up and use it! I've got a Gillette New that is nothing but base metal and wouldn't even think of a re-plating. Just my 2 cents worth.

8. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

If your happy with it as is then shave away. But if you think it would look better without the last 10%, then the gold plating on these Gillettes comes off fairly easy with a mechanical metal polish like maas or flitz.

Congratulations on your find!