Gillette Slim Adjustable or Rex Ambassador for upgrade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by McCrae, Aug 14, 2019.

1. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

Hey Gents,

I've been considering purchasing another razor. I've been doing some research and narrowed down my pickings to either the Gillette Slim Adjustable or Rex Ambassador. I just need a little help choosing between the two, price aside. Does anyone here own both razors and maybe favors one over the other? Why or why not?

I'm a one razor type of guy, I don't really rotate between different razors like some users prefer. I've been using the Rockwell 6S exclusively for about a year now, just getting a bit bored of it ;), and thought it time for a change.

brit, RyX, lightcs1776 and 2 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Here's a thought...the Slim won't set you back much, so...BOTH!

brit, RyX, lightcs1776 and 4 others like this.
  3. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

That's plan B. In case I can't choose :cool:

brit, Primotenore, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That's a really hard comparison. I don't own a slim but I have a Fatboy and a Black Beauty. I can tell you that on it's highest setting the Rex is capable of being more aggressive then any of the Gillette adjustables. It is also a very precisely made razor that exudes quality in every detail. It is however about 10x more expensive then a slim and I doubt anyone who owns both would say that it gives you a 10x better shave then the Slim(or the Fatboy or Black Beauty). I personally like the looks of the Rex better. And considering that all razors are just blade holders anyway, looks then become the deciding factor at least in my mind.

stuartganis, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. McCrae

McCrae Well-Known Member

That's an interesting way of putting it. I do tend to favor a more aggressive setting on the first couple of passes..

brit, RyX, jluc and 1 other person like this.
  6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I would go with the Rex!
    No, the Slim!
    Both! Yeah, both is the answer.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

stuartganis, EDC, terstation and 5 others like this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Hrmmmm.... Neither.

Write in vote for a Gillette New Improved 3 piece so you can put it on your favorite custom handle.

terstation, McCrae, brit and 2 others like this.
  8. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

If the money it no object get the Rex. It's a more durable modern razor. If there is an issue with it the Razor Emporium will take care of you. If there is an issue with the Slim again Razor Emporium but will set you back for them to do it...

McCrae, brit and jluc like this.
  9. flash75

flash75 Member

Hi,
    I have a Rockwell and first bought an additional gillette super Adjustable, later the Rex.
    The Gillette was sold.
    The Rex is by far the best though I rotate between the Rex and the Rockwell now, as the Rex made me improve technique. The Rockwell is very fool proof, the Rex requires a bit more attention but rewards you with a smooth and close shave.

Go for the Rex.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

jgreenepa, dmshaver, brit and 3 others like this.