Gillette "Spoiler"-First Shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bobcat, May 5, 2014.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I received a box of Gillette Super Stainless Steel "Spoilers" with my Ball End Tech some time ago. I finally pulled one out today to shave with. What a GREAT shave! I slipped it into my NEW SC, lathered up with some Coate's cream, and went to town. Since the box was open, I rinsed the blade with alcohol before putting it in the razor.

I have to say I am impressed with this first shave and am anxious to see how it holds up.

[​IMG]

preidy, PLANofMAN, Jayaruh and 5 others like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Are these vintage? And if so, how old. Nice that you had a great shave! The New is my favorite Gillette.

3. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Yes, they are roughly 45 years old, dating back to the 60's. Gillette got "Spoiler" Trademarked in 1967.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    45auto, Jayaruh, vwp528 and 2 others like this.
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

The second shave was excellent too. Now I will see how many shaves it will handle.

[​IMG]

Jayaruh and vwp528 like this.
  5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

There should be a date code on each blade that tell you exactly what year they're from.

Bobcat likes this.
  6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I have a couple of these that came with an eBay razor. Need to try them out.

MacDaDad and Bobcat like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Some years ago I found a small shipping carton of 20 or so carded Spoiler dispensers at an antique mall. One of the coolest finds I ever made. And it is a fine, fine blade.

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ah, so according to the Gillette 'Spoiler' advertisement, the secret of those blades is the "...miracle plastic coating baked onto the edge."
    'Miracle plastic'?
    Defined, a miracle is "...an event not ascribable to human power or the laws of nature and consequently attributed to a supernatural, especially divine, agency..."

Who knew Gillette would be hocking blades created by Divine intervention?

9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

3rd shave with the 1960’s “Spoiler” blade in the NEW SC. The “Spoiler” and Old Spice cream gave up a great smooth, close shave this morning.

[​IMG]

MacDaDad and Jayaruh like this.
  10. HoosierTrooper

I'm curious what the date code on these blades are because it's my understanding that Gillette didn't start putting the word Spoiler on the packages until well into the 70's.

11. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Tom-I just took my razor apart and checked for you. These are R4's from 1971.

MacDaDad likes this.
  12. HoosierTrooper

Ok. Great blades considering they're 43 years old, aren't they.

MacDaDad, Jayaruh and Bobcat like this.
  13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

They sure are Tom!

4th shave with the 1971 “Spoiler” blade in the NEW SC. Still chugging but not tugging along!

[​IMG]

14. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

5th shave with the 1971 “Spoiler” blade in the NEW SC. Another great “Spoiler” shave: smooth, close, nick free!

[​IMG]

15. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

6th shave with the 1971 “Spoiler” blade in the NEW SC and not even a hint of a tug!

[​IMG]

16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

The 7th shave with the 1971 “Spoiler” blade in the NEW SC was as good as the first!

[​IMG]

17. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I just finished my 10th excellent shave with one of my remaining 70’s Gillette Spoilers Super Stainless blades. I was using it in my Gillette NEW Short Comb. All ten shaves were smooth, close, and nick free. I never had even a hint of a tug. They did know how to make great blades that lasted. I believe they intended for them to last a full week.

[​IMG]

18. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

tagged for following...good review...and I like you showing what you are using! :happy088: x2

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    How did I miss this last year? Good review. I think they made the blade too good.

MacDaDad likes this.
  20. I seem to recall some ads for the Spoiler from my youth. Am I mistaken?

MacDaDad likes this.