Gillette "Spoiler"-First Shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bobcat, May 5, 2014.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I don't know when your "youth" was, but here is one............

[​IMG]

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  2. Born in 1956.

MacDaDad, brit and Bobcat like this.
  3. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

It's that time of the year.. So .. In my toolbox in the basement, I found an old Gillette Spoiler 15 pack with 2 fresh blades. There were half a dozen or so stuffed in the undercarriage and all were oil or grease laden but other than than fine. I cleaned with soap and water to remove the grease / oil and then rubbing alcohol and popped it in my Feather AS D2 and commenced to shave a day and a half's worth of growth. As fine of blade / shave as I've had with any of my many blades I have. I would buy more of these blades on ebay except the price they're asking is ridiculous and therefore I won't be buying any. The blade was a treat to use and is as good as any blade manufactured today, bar none.

I believe the DE blade technology is as good or better than back then but I believe the steel being used back then was of a higher quality / grade. My opinion.. ;)

My 2 fresh blades were marked B 4 yet in the reservoir there were A 1's and A 3's. Now I know these are my blades purchased back in the 70's. By chance were different coded blades packed in the same slide? Anyone?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

spoilers are awesome blades..

MacDaDad likes this.
  5. MacDaDad

They're the best blade that I've used but not worth the asking price of what guys want for them. :)

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

i paid approx $20 for 10 blades.so $2.00 per blade. 10 shaves per blade is .20 per shave.yes it a little up there but the shaves are great..wilkinson classic blades here are $12 for 10 blades.

MacDaDad likes this.
  7. MacDaDad

My Personna Med Preps & Lab Blue are killing it and the Israeli Reds too. I'm rather fond of several of the Treet blades as well. ;)

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i too sir use gsb and nacet as go to blades along with a few others..the spoiler surprised me considering the were 30 years old..the 10 great shaves with little difference in sharpness told me they were quality blades. but i have no intention to shave with these on a daily basis. with my other blades feeling similar and i have a few, they will get used regularly..nice to know 30+ year old spoilers were good..i guess all the folks who had all the good stuff except soaps didn't enjoy shaving..just a thought..

MacDaDad likes this.
  9. MacDaDad

Truthfully, I didn't enjoy shaving until I used a good brush and soap, that and learning a few things from other "fanatics" shavers like yourself. :) Now, I have the time, I take the time, and I work at it and it's a most pleasurable chore. I believe the silvertip and the quality soaps I use are key. I still use and love the Gillette super speeds / Diplomats / Milords / Aristocrats & my Feather AS D2. I use them all and normally 2 or 3 different ones per week. I'm not fussy. Life is good. ;)

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

that is awesome sir..i started with carts in the early 80s so i never experienced de when it was still around.i have heard so many stories here ,other forums,and old timers about how shaving in the old days was unpleasant , everyone changed to electrics and so on..i mean it is shaving but,people must of not liked it because they went to carts..i know i am missing something..

MacDaDad likes this.
  11. MacDaDad

Summertime, hot and sweaty and shaving equals a raw neck and face. I bought an electric razor to get away from all of this... It didn't happen, electric razors cause as much irritation, if not more. I'm sure there are cartridge users who swear by them, they work for me but I don't like them. Carts will give me razor burn quicker than anything but they do work but I'm not a fan.

My opinion is that soft water, witch hazel, and an alum block usage has contributed to my shaving comfort, that and a silvertip with great soap. There are many razors and many blades that will do the trick. ;)

But there's just something about the nostalgia associated with the old Gillettes, their blades and the smell of a barbershop. I didn't get my shaves at the barbershop (I have) but the smell of powder / talc, aftershave and soap bring back memories of the past. I attempt to duplicate this daily . :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

i agree sir.i enjoy the same..happy shaving..

MacDaDad likes this.