Gillette SS Red Tip! What do you think of them????

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by seagiant, Apr 25, 2015.

1. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    I like a heavy,semi aggressive razor with a non-slip handle.

I saw this Red Tip model and decided to pick it up for a fair price.

Looks in good shape and is coded B2!

I hope it to be one of my favorites but was wondering what everyone thought here of them???

Thanks!

Attached Files:

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I think I would like to add one to my collection. But I am not in a hurry..

Tdmsu likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I like it. I get better shaves from my Merkur HD, though.

4. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi Jay,
    I wonder if the Goodwill Stores and the Thrift Shops have caught on to the demand for the old vintage Gillettes???

I mean can you go in and buy a nice cased Aristocrate for $10?????

5. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

It depends on the razor. Factory new A red tip has a wider blade gap than say a superspeed but these are very old machines and a lot can happen in the decades since they were made. They can be opened up, closed in and dropped and bent. You will need to put a blade in yours and look at it next to another razor with a critical eye to see how much more or less open it is. Then shave with it and tweak as needed to get the shave you like.
    These things are cheap so have some fun with it.

6. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi Steve,
    Thanks, my one razor now is a Merkur 38C with Israeli Crystal blades!

I think it is a fantastic set up, but want to try a few vintage Gillettes also!

7. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi Mike,
    How do you "tweek" them???

8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I tried one a few years ago when I first started wet shaving regularly. I wasn't impressed. But I also lacked in technique and didn't give it much of a chance.

9. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Just got one on the mail today myself. Haven't even played with it yet. Looks nice but need a good cleaning. Opens and closes smoothly. May send it to Razor Emporium for a reconditioning, along with the black beauty I also received today.

10. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi Dzia,
    I think mine looks good from the pics?

Missing a little red at the end of the handle.

I guess that could be taken care of easily or just left alone?

Have to see!

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You can use International Harvester Red paint to repaint the tip if you desired.

12. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

A
    Small screwdriver can be used to bend the safety bar. There are a lot of threads on the board on how to square up and tune or adjust the razor

13. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest trying the vintage Gillette's such as the Superspeeds, Slim Adjustable and the 195 (a.k.a. Fatboy). Superspeed's are readily available and excellent one's can be had for under $20. I shave almost exclusively with one of my vintage Gillette's and get fantastic shaves from all (YMMV). My two "current production" razors, a Merkur 1904 (42C) & Feather Popular are fine shavers which I use occasionally, however, there's just something I find more appealing in using the vintage razors vs. current production razors. Also, the Israeli Crystal's are excellent blades in whatever razor I'm using.

Vintage Gillette's.jpg

14. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

I'm glad I read this, as I was on the hunt for a Red Tip. :)

15. seagiant

seagiant Member

Hi,
    Thanks Mike and LaSal!

The thing is everyone is different. If I say that XXX razor is the best and nothing is better it really means nothing to the next guy?

He will find something great for him that I would not like!

The good news is these razors are cheap enough to try and if not a keeper then easy to sale!!!

That's a win,win, to me and an enjoyable hobby!

16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I finally picked up a '57. I like it better than a regular SS, it's a bit more aggressive than that, but I wouldn't call it a particularly aggressive razor.

17. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

I'm a fan - it makes its way into my rotation about once or twice a week - I currently own 6 razors. Not aggressive...but definitely gets the job done, even with a day of growth & my heavy stubble.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Red Tip: best grip on a razor ever, imo. I'd have one but my Superadjustable performs the same.

Herm2502 likes this.
  19. Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin Member

Nice razor , I had purchased a cased B2 in excellent shape when I first started wet shaving and I used it in my rotation regularly so I purchased a second user grade one as not to degrade the one in excellent shape. Not too aggressive and has really good grip, I don't use it as often now but haul it out occasionally and still get a fine shave .

Glenn

20. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I love mine. It is a regular in the rotation. Enjoy!!

Herm2502 likes this.