Gillette Super Click Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I ordered this cheap $2.29 razor from Turkey Chiangmai, Thailand, and it came in 16 days. I used it this morning for my second pass, and it performed great. Tomorrow, I will do a full shave with it on Williams Wednesday. (edited because of senior moment)

IMG_8275b.jpg

It hinges on one end and clicks closed on the other. Loading it is no problem.
    IMG_8276.JPG

One nice thing is that the ends are protected.
    IMG_8278.JPG

It came with one Gillette Super Thin blade. I measured it at 3.5 thousandths inch.
    IMG_8279.JPG

It weighs in at 7 grams. I plan to make a video of my shave tomorrow. It looks like this would make a great travel razor.
    IMG_8280.JPG

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Redfisher, Enrico, RyX and 5 others like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I like the Super Click just fine. Your model is produced for the Thai market, interesting it winds up in Turkey.

The design is a 90 years old effort of Henry Gaisman's, predating his association with Gillette.[​IMG]

AGHisBBS, Redfisher, Enrico and 4 others like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Well, I checked on the envelope it came in, and it says Chiangmai, Thailand, I must have experienced a senior moment to think it was from Turkey. I edited my original post. Thanks for the heads up.

AGHisBBS, Redfisher and jmudrick like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm happy you liked it. 7 seems very light, is it metal or plastic?
    Will it accommodate any de blade or super thin only?
    I found the extreme lightness of my ATT calypso a refreshing change of pace.

5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's plastic, any blade can be accommodatedy. The handle is hollow so one could goose it up with some tungsten putty if desired.

In the local market these razors go for around forty cents, at least that's what I paid.

AGHisBBS, Redfisher, RyX and 2 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, it is all plastic and very light. A nickel is only 5g so it is 40% heavier than a nickel.
    I just measured a Personna and a Rockwell blade. They both were .004 inch. So, the Super Thins are 1/8 thinner. The Personna went in the razor with no problem.

7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    So, where do you live that you get these razors for forty cents?

AGHisBBS and Redfisher like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Locally meaning SE Asia, Cambodia in my case.

9. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Amazing. We have a small world. I never made it to Cambodia, but I did spend a year in Vietnam back in the 60s. As you know I make brushes, and I have brushes in twelve different countries around the world. None in Cambodia, yet.

AGHisBBS and Redfisher like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

As was Saigon, Phnom Penh would have been a pretty pleasant place until the feces hit the fan after Sihanouk's deposition in 1970, particularly in the early years of Independence. . I'm essentially bi-continental these days spending more time in the US but most of my friends are in Cambodia and Vietnam. I'll look to rectify your Cambodia gap in the near future.

AGHisBBS, Redfisher, RyX and 3 others like this.
  11. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Those super thin blades are one of my favorites, great blade.

AGHisBBS, Redfisher and Jayaruh like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    My first shave with the Gillette Super Click is completed. It was a very good shave. The razor and blade combination were great. The video is processing right now, and I will post it as soon as it is complete.
    [​IMG]
    Williams Wednesday's Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Wash
    Williams Mug Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #312
    Gillette Super Click
    Gillette Super Thin
    CWR
    Florida Water

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Williams Mug Shave Soap face lathered well with the Jayaruh #312 brush. I did two passes with the Gillette Super Click Razor with a Gillette Super Thin blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Florida Water. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

AGHisBBS, Redfisher and jmudrick like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    The video is complete.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I thought it worked great. I look forward to using it in another razor to evaluate it further.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

How does the weight compare to Woody? Just curious since I know how light Woody feels during use.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Well, I forgot to weigh the Woody, but the two I made after the first weigh in at 20g and 22g.

AGHisBBS and richgem like this.