Gillette Superspeeds

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by donex32, May 4, 2015.

1. donex32

donex32 New Member

I have a 1954 flare tip Superspeed which I really like. It's smooth and well balanced. However, I am interested in something a little more aggressive in the Gillette line. I also use a mergress on 2 which tends to slice through my beard much more efficiently and is an overall good setting for me. However, the merkur and Gillette heads seem very different from each other when comparing blade gaps. My question is about the red tip version. Is it that much more aggressive than the 54 Superspeed? I have looked at the blade gap charts and I see it is a few more mm but will I really notice the difference? Thank you.

2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Well maybe fractions of a millimeter. But yes there is a noticeable difference with the Red Tip.

Herm2502 and spacehobo like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.

4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Though the difference is only slight I definitely prefer the red tip. I do not like the base SS at all.

5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Yes! The Red Tip is slightly more aggressive than a 54 Super Speed, which was slightly more aggressive than a Blue Tip.

6. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

The red tip is a bit more aggressive than the flair tip to me.

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

You can always use a small flat blade screwdriver inserted into the safety bar of your superspeed and bending down to adjust the blade gap and open it up. If you are careful you can open it up like a redtip. Glow slow and gently and it will bend slightly. Then do the other side. First Add a blade and check your gap with a feeler gauge. Then adjust and check again. Shave and repeat as needed.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The red tip is on my list of vintage razors to get.

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have found the Aristocrat to be a bit more aggressive as well.

11. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

Where would the 1961 Super Speed Flair Tip fall into on the aggressiveness scales with older Gillette's? Would it be between like the blue tip and red tip?

Thx.

spacehobo and NCoxSTL like this.
  12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yes. The blue tip is the mild version, for "younger men" and sensitive skin, as one old commercial put it. The flair tip is for "normal beards" and the red tip is for those who prefer a "heavier razor". I've never found an old commercial that mentions the red tip as being better at shaving tough beards, just a "heavier" razor. Still it is a bit more aggressive than the flair.

13. sir_mike

Thanks for the info! I was thinking the red tip was more but wasn't sure where all the models seem to lie at when talking aggression! :)

NCoxSTL likes this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Here's one of the commercials. Love these classics.

Bill_F likes this.
  15. sir_mike

I agree, great commercials!

Do you know how the 61 Super Speed Flair Tip compares to current razors like the EJ DE89L/Muhle R89 and the ATT M1 or M2?

Thx.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well it's YMMV, but I think the Flair is a bit less aggressive than the EJ89, but they are close. I haven't tried the other razors so maybe someone else can jump in there.

17. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Here's how I'd rate the aggressiveness but some people might place them a little different. They're all pretty close.

M1 < R89 < Flare Tip < M2

sir_mike and NCoxSTL like this.
  18. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I know that I get a much closer shave with the red tip.

Douglas Carey, spacehobo and NCoxSTL like this.
  19. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Just put my Red into service tonight. Closest shave ever. But boy, you got to pay attention. Let the razor do the work.

DEfettish likes this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

So, is the silver flair tip super speed right in the middle between the red and the blue?