Gillette Toggle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by over5feet, Sep 28, 2012.

1. over5feet

over5feet Active Member

So I have a gillette toggle F4 which is in great shape other than a bit of plate loss on the handle and the numbers are a little faded, the problem I have its GOLD so my question is with the risk of being strung up by the gillette police should I go for nickel rhodium or silver? we have one of the best re platers here in the UK (Dave)so I know he will do it well

2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I had a USA crat done by Dave in GOLD and its very nice, but to do that razor in nickel rhodium im sure would increase the value more.

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I did really ask around about the effect on its cash value. The prices have really gone up on them and if you plan on resale having it done in another metal may effect it. If your going to keep it for ever and ever; do what you feel best with.

4. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

pics would help but if it has some plate loss now replating in rhodium would be my suggestion. That would make it the most marketable and keep value better than the other two IMHO

alpla444 likes this.
  5. over5feet

over5feet Active Member

Here are some pics its gold but its not showing up but you can see the number need touching up photo copy 2.JPG photo copy 3.JPG photo copy 4.JPG

alpla444 likes this.
  6. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Hard to see the plate loss but touching up numbers is not hard by itself

alpla444 likes this.
  7. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

From looking at it in your photos... Like the looks of it in gold rather than silver. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348845957.213801.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348845997.541440.jpg

8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If you're actually using it and keeping it for yourself, have it replated in whatever you want. If you're going to sell it, best to keep it original and of course, disclose during the sale that it has been replated.

alpla444 likes this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs154: BEAUTIFUL RAZOR!!!
    My take on replating is this. From what I've read "Super Anal" collectors want the razor in original or as near original condition(NOS) as possible. Doing almost anything to the razor devalues it in their eyes. A User wants a razor that functions properly and looks nice to shave with! He/she wants a well functioning tool to use and enjoy, not just an investment to make money off of.

So are you a User or just a Collector? If your a Collector then just wrap it up as is, wait a while then resell. If your a User do what ever you want to it that make your ownership more enjoyable to YOU. Either way it will appreciate in value as things stand now. F.Y.I. I'm a User who started collecting because I wanted to try as many different razors as I could ;). R.A.D. took over and so here I am! :bounce015: