Gillette Travel Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by FaceScraper, Jun 13, 2017.

1. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

IMG_0034.JPG Just got this yesterday - it's my first vintage razor! Saw it on the bay and couldn't resist. It's in immaculate condition. I gave it a go this morning and have to say that I'm impressed. For such a short handle, it felt fairly good in the hand. I used it the way I imagine it'll be used "in the wild" - with Barbasol. Not that I travel much these days, but when I do, it'll be taking the trip as well. As an added bonus, the head goes right onto my daily driver handle...so that kinda means I have a regular sized Tech as well!

AGHisBBS, '65 G-Slim, Bobcat and 3 others like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The techs get a bad rap some times. They are nice though. Glad you enjoyed.

Bobcat, Jayaruh and FaceScraper like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Very nice score. The travel tech is a great razor and the head will fit on the regular sized handle as you have already found out.

FaceScraper likes this.
  4. FaceScraper

Thanks Fuzzy & Jim! I'm rather pleased with it. I couldn't believe how small it is when I got it out of the package. I wondered if I'd even be able to pull off a decent shave with it. But, I'm almost wondering if it isn't a good razor for a newbie (I have only been at it a few months myself). If you hold it towards the end of the handle, it's almost impossible to put any pressure on it. It just sorta glides along smoothly. I can't say I got the best shave ever (since I switched to DE), but for the first shave with it, and with a blade that already had 5-6 shaves on it already, still quite good. :)

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There are also little travel open combs with a 2 piece handle. They are very nice too.

6. FaceScraper

Hmmm...something to consider down the road! I have to build my "collection" slowly. The bride knows my acquisition disorder all too well!

Jim99 and Jayaruh like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Lol. Yup we all kmow how that goes!!!

FaceScraper, Jim99 and Jayaruh like this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice razor. I have one my father gave me before he passed away. He picked it up for a quarter at a yard sale.

Even a full size handle doesn't take much room in the dopp kit.

I tried traveling with a shorty like that and much prefer having a longer handle with me.

AGHisBBS, Bobcat, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have several "travel razors." This one is German made. It is like an Old Type head with a two piece handle.
    IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0029.JPG

I got this nice little leather case from Maggard Razors for it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Then there is my Gillette Travel Tech. It is a very nice shaver.
    tech_t3_06.JPG travel_razor1.JPG

This is another Gillette Travel Tech I have.
    [​IMG]

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Jim, I didn't know you had a collection of travel tech razors.

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Watch out! The rabbit hole is deep and we're all enablers!
    :p

FaceScraper and Stu929 like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I think I had five. I just sold one with one of my brush adoptions recently.

13. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Very true. While I haven't fallen as deep as many I def have stepped in with both feet and have built a decent little collection quickly. Still trying to add some strategic pieces though. Plus with so many goos vintage razors out in the wild I dont feel the need to buy new. Don't get me wrong there are some beautiful new razors but I love the nostalgia of the older stuff and they work well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jim99 and FaceScraper like this.
  14. FaceScraper

Thanks! They are neat little razors! Your father got a slightly better deal than me, although I can't complain - $10 incl. shipping! I didn't truly purchase this razor for travel necessarily, but rather "just because". I was planning on throwing my first razor, a VDH, in my travel kit. Buuuuuut....now that I have this....

Jim99 likes this.
  15. FaceScraper

You have a nice collection of these! You have more travel razors than I have razors period! Even if you include my carts! :) I'll have to look into one of those cases now!

16. FaceScraper

I'm going to try to keep it down to a semi-reasonable number. I'm not really a "collector" of anything - at least, not on purpose. It's just, when I get into something, well....you know. I do know that I want a birth year razor, preferably same month as well. 4th qtr of '69. Or maybe a couple....

17. spot705

spot705 Active Member

It's not an addiction if you call it a hobby!

tenor.gif

Jim99, wchnu, LKLive13 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've heard that some place before ... oh yah, my own words. Fist I said "I'll keep it to five". Then "No more than ten". Now "I'll keep it under twenty". I ordered number nineteen last night. But to be fair I do sell and will be doing a PIF soon. ;)

FaceScraper and Jim99 like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

BTW Techs are awesome! :D

AGHisBBS and FaceScraper like this.
  20. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have used razors that cost hundreds of dollars, and I still use techs. I can get a dfs 100% of the time from a tech

IMG_20170523_090729.jpg IMG_20170517_091401.jpg