-Gillettes-Finest-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  2. stuartganis

Gillette Super Speed / Polsilver Super Iridium [​IMG]

Ron R, Droo78 and brit like this.
  3. stuartganis

Gillette Gold Tech /Gillette Silver Blue [​IMG]

4. stuartganis

Gillette Flare Tip (TV Special) / Kai blade [​IMG]

brit, Ron R and Droo78 like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

DE SOTD, Tue, July 14 2020

Razor: Gillette New Long open comb Canadian variant- Mfg 1930's- upper mid range+ excellent razor.
    Blade: Gillette 7oClock (black) super platinum (5) one of my favorites.
    Soap: Razorock Lavender- great lather qualities & manly scent that has been discontinued ![​IMG]
    Brush: Razorock Noir 400 24mm synthetic - great lathering brush, closest to a broke in boar brush without scritch.
    Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
    Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
    Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
    Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + minor irritation + 1 weeper= Excellent shave with my Gillette New long comb 1930's Canadian variant.

DE SOTD , Tue, July 14 2020 (2).jpg
    Have some great shaves!

brit and Droo78 like this.
  6. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Hello, Gillette No 500, an ongoing project. Replaced case hinges and relined it with Tiger wood. Cap and comb straightened, screw replaced, rotted motif "replaced". Have to recut the leaves at the bottom and replate it, most likely in silver.

IMG_4279.JPG

Adam

Droo78 and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

awesome set Adam,nice work..

8. brit

brit in a box

cool long comb Ron..

Ron R likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

brit/french market new lc/148 cap#44 new rfb handle..
    20200714_091951_edited.jpg

10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary, The New long comb is a great razor that will give a close shave if desired.
    Never new Gillette made such nice unique twisted handles.

brit likes this.
  11. romsitsa

It was a "pillar", pitted, and someone tought wire brushing it would help. It didn't, so I made the twist with a file.

Adam

brit likes this.
  12. romsitsa

Thank you. Interesting New, never saw a British LC with patent stamped head.

Adam

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

thank you Adam,it's the first i have seen as well.i got it without a handle hence the rfb one.it has a 148 cap and both still have some nickel plate left though worn thin.most french new lc were imported from the u.s i thought..i imagine it to have a ball end old type or french goodwill empire handle as original ..thoughts?

14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

That is amazing to file a handle in that kind of detail, that is a lot of filing. Job well done!

brit likes this.
  15. romsitsa

Now I remember. There are two versions, plain New handle with your head or a plain head with a British New (133693 other patents pending) handle.
    Both come in brown marbled cardboard cases with one blade.

Adam

Ron R and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i have a brit new empire set with the plain head.in gold plate..when you say plain new handle do you mean the common bar handle or ball end one.?.thank you..

17. romsitsa

Plain as a ball end New handle with no stamps. Actually very late old types used that handle too (thinner neck and slightly different ball).

Adam

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

cheers Adam.most grateful.:)..

19. romsitsa

Pg. 236 of Krumholz (first edition) cites from an 1935 exhibit, but there is no picture. Waits included a picture of an 1935 exhibit on pg. 448, and it exactly matches the description of Krumholz. So I suspect both saw the same photograph(s).
    Krumholz skipped/missed many things, guess he had limited resources, compared to what's available today.
    The 162/164 style caps being surplus old type parts. These were cast, not used before New caps.
    #148 caps only produced in 1931, while it's the most common British design used way into the 30ies.
    South American Gillettes are almost exclusively SC-s, British razors are only LC-s, Germany used only the "New" blade patents and omitted the whole New/Goodwill design. I think, it was all related to which patents were actually "legit" in the given country.

Adam

jmudrick and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

when did the brit rfb replace the long comb in england?,or were they both available at one point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.