Glad I found this...

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Harold CY, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Harold CY

Harold CY Member

Brand new DEer. I have a EJ 89 coming in the mail any day. I have a strange feeling this is going to turn into an obsession if I'm not careful. Looking forward to learning a lot of useful and interesting information

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

Bama Samurai, fram773 and Jostalli like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    welcome.jpg
    Glad you landed here. Enjoy your stay and your shaves.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hi Harold! Welcome to TSD! Please sign up for the Newbie Give-Away HERE the EJ89 is a super razor! Also look into a blade sample pack.
    Kerry

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

6. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den,enjoy yourself, my first DE is EJ89' very nice razor

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Harold CY"

The EJ89 is a GREAT razor! I happily used mine for years until I got my Weber DLC. The SS Weber is only slightly smoother than the EJ, but it did cost more. If I hadn't gotten the Weber I'd still be using my EJ.
    FYI "traditional" shaving, the hobby, can easily turn into an obsession. Don't fight it, just enjoy it. :)

8. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Welcome to the Den. Consider yourself among friends!

9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome Harold!

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD. Lots of friendly folks here with good advise.

Clint

11. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:signs046: to the Shave Den.

12. Silverirae

Silverirae Active Member

Welcome!

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Welcome to TSD!
    You start with one razor, then suddenly before you know it, they've multiplied! ;)
    [​IMG]

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome, nice to have you here.

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome! I second that the EJ89 is a fine tool. Grab a blade sampler (they have a great one in the TSD store) and spend a couple months learning it...then the obsession can start!

16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi Harold and welcome to TSD! Happy Shavings!

17. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den!

18. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

We're glad you found us too. Hold on and enjoy the ride.

19. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hello, Harold, and welcome! Traditional shaving is fun, and you are in good company here! The EJ 89 is a fantastic razor, and you will enjoy it.

And even if you are careful, this will turn into an obsession. :D